Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Export Drop Caps with Reflowable EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've searched on the web and I can't seem to find how to fix this. I have an ebook which contains Drop Caps. When I export it to a Reflowable Epub, I get a notification that says: "Drop caps, Run-in style, Line style, and GREP style applied as style overrides are ignored. These are only supported in paragraph styles". The thing is, I can't figure out how to fix this. I know it says paragraph styles but when I use the Drop Cap Number of Lines option InDesign will not export the Drop Cap, and when I try to create it under Drop Caps and Nested Styles, it tries to capitalize every line. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

I've found a work around. Clear the formatting on the paragraph style used for the text, and then in Drop Caps and Nested Styles, set the Lines and Characters to 1. From there highlight the first letter of the paragraph that requires the Drop Caps and use the Drop Cap symbol under Paragraph to adjust it to how you need it to look. This exported fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropcaps

You can use the dropcaps feature of InDesign, but you will need to create a character style for the dropcap letter, and apply to the first letter in that paragraph.

https://www.publisha.org/Research/indesignusers/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My issue sin't that I can't create Drop Caps. I've created them. My issue is that I can't export them. Do you have any guidance on how to export them in a Reflowable EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO it's best to keep everything as simple as possible, typographically, with Reflowable ePubs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the typography is simple, as far as font choices, etc. I'm just trying to export the Drop Cap in the Reflowable EPUB. Do you know how to do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By simple I think he meant, specifically... Avoid drop caps. Adobe are clearly trying to stop this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font choices may not be yours, the reader can select their own.

By the way, if you do use your fonts ensure they are licenced for use in ePub, many require a separate license. Adobe fonts are licensed for ePubs so you are safe using them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of ID are you using and what are your export settings?

I just did a test of the following:

• Para style w/ plain drop cap
  • Para style w/ drop cap and manually applied char style
  • Para style w/ drop cap with automatic char style

I exported to reflowable EPUB. It looked fine on my computer using Thorium Reader, and on my iPhone using Books.

InDesign:

image.png

iPhone screen grab (not showing entire export):

Untitled-1.jpg

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like there's some hope for this then. I'm on version 16.4. Here are my export settings. 2021-09-04_114016.png2021-09-04_114029.png2021-09-04_114037.png2021-09-04_114044.png2021-09-04_114050.png2021-09-04_114006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing anything that should cause a problem. 

Try creating a new document, the three para/char styles that I did (applied to text), and export with default settings. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a new document and have found that I can export as long as I do not use the Drop Cap button here 

melissac34200095_0-1630772764118.png

If I do, then I get the same message. However, when I use the Drop Caps and Nesting Styles under Paragraph Style it does this:

melissac34200095_1-1630772830021.pngmelissac34200095_2-1630772840187.png

It looks like it's linking every paragraph somehow? Any ideas on how to make that not happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found a work around. Clear the formatting on the paragraph style used for the text, and then in Drop Caps and Nested Styles, set the Lines and Characters to 1. From there highlight the first letter of the paragraph that requires the Drop Caps and use the Drop Cap symbol under Paragraph to adjust it to how you need it to look. This exported fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines