• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CANNOT get proper format conversion for eBook

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SO frustrated. I am trying to get my ebook on platforms like Amazon and no one accepts PDF. When I export to ePub, it looks NOTHING LIKE MY BOOK! The formatting is off, the pictures are all jumbled around. There are no errors or anything on my document. I have NO idea what is going on and I want to get it on Kindle. I can't do HTML because of the pictures, PDF is not taking, and the epub files look nothing like my book. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PUBLICH MY BOOK when Adobe software can't even format it for the platform's needs. NOTHING is working. I need help. I'm so sad.
Thank you,

Giovanna

TOPICS
EPUB , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPUB is not PDF... in many ways, but mostly in that it does not make any perfect snapshot of layout pages. It takes a fair amount of knowledge and (on every project) rounds of trial to get things right.

The book in the sig has pretty much everything you need to do pro reflowable EPUB and Kindle. It assumes you have reasonable mastery of InDesign and at least a grasp of CSS style coding.

You'll also find some basic tutorials here (drawn from/expanding on the book): http://nitrosyncretic.com/DPR/dpr_index.php

Happy to help with specific questions or the whole process, as well.

BTW — you want to export to reflowable EPUB. Fixed-page EPUB is an obsolete non-solution that is much more difficult to work with, despite seeming to be a simple/easy choice.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note that if you "can't do HTML because of the pictures," you are going to have hurdles with EPUB as well — EPUB is, essentially, a packaged website and subject to most of the same layout and content limitations. If you have complex image layouts, you're going to have to adapt them to what XHTML/CSS can manage... which is quite a bit and quite fancy if you have the chops, but again, EPUB is not just a snapshot of page layouts, so you have to work within the limits of each medium.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines