• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get video to play in interactive PDF

Participant ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open my interactive PDF to test it I see a warning at the top that says "This PDF content requires Flash Player, which will no longer be suported after December 2020."

The video on the page has the "click to activate" message but nothing happens when I click. The video will not play. 

TOPICS
Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

You can still embed and view mp4 video in PDF, however no longer in Flash but through the system, on a Mac with Quicktime for example.
You have to change the preference for this in Acrobat under Media to enable this to work! 

This is from my blog showing this, it is in Dutch however:

http://fvdgeest-dtp.blogspot.com/2020/06/interactive-pdf-en-video-en-geluid-na.html

But, how do you make sure your readers of your pdf do the same on their computers? Do you give them instructions? In short, choose

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video in interactive.pdf format does not work. Does it have to be a .pdf? Can it be publish online as delivery method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does, you have to change the Media preference however in Acrobat 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can it be changed one time to work in both Mac and windows with no issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Reader installed but I would imagine this would be there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, there are issues with including a video in a PDF, one way around it is to have a hyperlink in your Interactive PDF to an external site like a Youtube, or similar, video. Alternatively use a different format, based on HTML5, such as FXL ePub, Publish Online or in5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still embed and view mp4 video in PDF, however no longer in Flash but through the system, on a Mac with Quicktime for example.
You have to change the preference for this in Acrobat under Media to enable this to work! 

This is from my blog showing this, it is in Dutch however:

http://fvdgeest-dtp.blogspot.com/2020/06/interactive-pdf-en-video-en-geluid-na.html

But, how do you make sure your readers of your pdf do the same on their computers? Do you give them instructions? In short, choose a safer way like a link like others here suggested 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in order for it to work each person has to make this change themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is a user preference as I mentioned originally and why it's fool's errand to even try to work with video in PDF for anything but a very small controlled audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, now, can this change be made in both reader and full version of acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive PDFs have many limitations. If appropriate for your case, don't forget about Publish Online. It supports all of InDesign's interactive features, including video, buttons, MSOs, etc. Here are some great examples: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful work, Diane. Thanks for sharing. Question: I've updated a document for my client. Created in InDesign 2021. They want animated gifs (screenflows of their software) to play in the exported PDF. I don't think this is possible, so I'm trying to create .mp4's out of the gifs to see if they'll play that way. Whenever I insert (using Acrobat Pro) the mp4s into the exported PDF, I can't seem to get the videos to play. I just get some little weird Flash-looking logo and a play button, but the videos don't play (even after selecting all the appropriate little check boxes in the "Rich Media" dialogue. I understand that I can build animations within InDesign, but that's not really helpful for what I'm trying to do. To your knowledge, is there a way to either embed animated gifs in the PDF (I don't think there is), or if you have suggestions on how to accomplish this, I'm all ears. Thank you! -cw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If InDesign's Publish Online isn't suitable for you, have a look at FXL ePubs or in5 (an InDesign plugin (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane Burns has an excellent step-by-step online video tutorial on creating Publish Online documents on Linkedin Learning (you can get 30-days free access): https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-publish-online-2?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your help is truly appreciated Mr. Cross, however, all your suggestions require more money. We pay a hefty monthly fee for the use of the Adobe products and I've searched high and low for support on Adobe. None offer a realistic and free way to create an actual interactie pdf. I've tried everything and the only way my video plays is if you view online with the publish option. This is incredibly frustrating to say the least. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is how it works, iPDF is something you can forget for this kind of things, sorry.

But as said, go to Acrobat Preferences, then 3D and Multimedia (on the left) the change the setting on the right from Flash to something like Quicktime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Andrew Jack5E71

InDesign is a professional industry standard publishing tool and IMO if a professional can't afford the (modest) monthly fee they should be looking at another career. Re PDF Adobe don't even own it any more.

It is frustrating that we can't do want you (all of us) want – but you've been offered the current options that are available at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a modest price when you factor in all the other rising costs due to corporate greed. Your comment needs to be more active and in touch. Please do some research on the economy before making such statements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you just hunting around for old discussions to rant? Video in PDF is dead. That much is settled. Your alternatives are up to you and your budget. If you want to have a professional discussion start a new thread. Hijacking years old discussions is going to get you nowhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing new about any of these things. Interactive PDF has been dead to me for years. I wrote this more than six years ago. I stand by just about every word of it to this day.

It's okay to say no to interactive PDF (boblevine.us)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great option, however your blog is in German and unable to understand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew Jack5E71 wrote:

Great option, however your blog is in German and unable to understand. 

come on, don't insult me now, this is Dutch! 😉

go to Acrobat Preferences, then 3D and Multimedia (on the left) the change the setting on the right from Flash to something like Quicktime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines