Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone,

I need urgent help. I have an Indesign file that gives me an error when opening it. And it says the following: ¨Cannot open the file `` new_design_price_list_2022-en_.indd´´ Adobe Indesign does not recognize the file format, a plugin that recognizes it is missing or the file is open in another application¨ This message came to me when I was working with my laptop and it turned off because the battery was discharged, after turning the laptop back on I already got that file error.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the folder where the InDesign file is saved for a file with extension .idlk and delete it if it's present and then try opening the InDesign file. It seems your InDesign file was not closed cleanly and this could have prevented the deletion of the lock file i.e. the idlk file. Alternatively, your file could also have been damaged due to the sudden shutdown of the computer.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

I've deleted the idlk file I had, but the original file still can't be opened and it still gives me the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it could be a case of file corruption. Check the file size, is it something odd, too small or too large? Can you share the document with us so that we can have a look at it and see if we can try to identify if its corrupted or not.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't let me send it here.

The maximum size allowed to pass it here is 47 MB, the file is 16,828 KB. That's why it won't let me pass it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put it on a file sharing service (like dropbox or google docs) and put a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file seems to be missing the header information I would expect to see when opening in a text editor, though the rest of the information appears to likely be intact.

I think there's a chance Adobe might be able to recover this for you See https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html#need_help and send the file to idfile@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for your answer.

I will send an email to the email you have given me and I hope they can give me a quick solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached screenshot of the file as it is in the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is the file was saved in a newer version of InDesign than the one you are using. What version do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the version I currently have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me for a month of more. NO files will open from Google OneDrive. I get errors with all of them. I'm on a MAC running Monterey. It's not a single file issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue. Once I downloaded the file to my HD (not just accessing from the cloud), the issue resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. I've tried EVERYTHING. So had my designer colleague. Nothing that I've ever saved to OneDrive will open no matter where I save it or drag it to prior to trying to open it. Any file...Adobe, Microsoft, images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever issue you're having is certainly unrelated to InDesign. I suggest contacting Microsoft about this, but you're going to need to supply a lot more in the way of details. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, i understand that. I just really wanted to let people know this is happening. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines