• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open my ID file!

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The InDesign file I have been working all day is now unable to open. The message reads...

"Cannot open. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

I have been saving down my files to have access on my MacBook Pro which does not suppoer the latest version of ID. I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say that you've been"saving down" your files do you mean that you've been exporting them as IDMLs? Have you been going back and forth with your files over and over switching between the two computers that you are using? Using IDMLs in this fashion (back and forth numerous times) is not a good idea. I have seen some funky things happen to InDesign files that have done the "back and forth" although not to this extreme. An IDML used sparingly can actually remove corruption from an InDesign file but it can be an instrument of corruption as well. 

Is this problem happening with just one document or all of your files? What are the two versions of InDesign that your two machines are running? Have you tried opening the file on another computer?

There are a number of file recovery services on the internet but I cannot personally recommend one. If you can't get this file fixed then hopefully, you have an earlier version of the file in question backed up someplace. Being meticulous about backing up files can certainly save a lot of grief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

There's also an email address at the end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it possible you forgot to "save down" last time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines