• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot overwrite InDesign 2023 files after updating to InDesign 2024

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Adobe Indesign 2024 this morning and now cannot save over my Indesign files that were created with 2023 version. Every time I try to save over I get an error message that it is damaged. If I save under a new name it saves fine, but we rely on overwriting/updating files that are made in different departments across the company and it is a real drag on workflow to go in, delete the old file and then rename the newer file.  We have uninstalled and reinstalled several times as well as restarting the computers. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 4.02.27 PM.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit strange workflow - overwriting live files... 

Anyway, if that's only for using the same names - why can't you select destination file - to get it's name in InDesign - then switch to the folder and delete the file - then go back to InDesign and finish the save? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. Saving the final by overwriting an existing file isn't really that strange. Multiple people are not working on the file at the same time. Rather than just hitting save, going through all of the extra steps just to save the file is a pain. Adobe should make sure that when they release a new version that it is compatible with previous versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a permissions issue. Have you checked with your IT folks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't a permissions issue. IT has been involved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto, same issue, and saving over a file is actually normal, not that "around your elbow..." method of saving as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar but different problem over here. I just got a new Macbook Pro 16-inch (Sonoma OS) and I'm using InDesign as before. When I try to "save as" (which as a designer I'm in the habit of using; it's engrained in me to NEVER just press "save") to make a PDF of my work, it says it's overwriting the old file, but when I open the file, it's the same PDF as before. The time-stamp has changed so it should be the recent updated, but it's still showing the previous iteration of the PDF. What is going on? Anyone else having this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultql86e42gcovh

In order to get PDF - you should Export. 

Save As is to save INDD file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I was actually going to:

File > Adobe PDF presets > [High Quality Print] and the PDF that usually 'exports' over the old one doesn't seem to be overwriting it anymore, ever since I updated my computer/operating system/Adobe. Does that make more sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultql86e42gcovh

Do you use any kind of cloud backup with synchronisation service?

What is the folder you are exporting to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

No, I don't have a cloud backup set up. And I'm saving to my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't have a cloud backup set up. And I'm saving to my desktop.

By @defaultql86e42gcovh

If you delete the existing PDF prior to exporting the new one, does InDesign create it as expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question. I can't see why it wouldn't, but I will have to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: If I delete the previous PDF, and then try to save under the same name, it somehow magically reverts to the old PDF. For example, I made a pdf from InDesign yesterday. It was 3 pages long. I went back in and added a page of photos, so it was now 4 pages long. I deleted the old PDF. I exported to PDF, saved it as the same name as the InDesign file, and when I opened it, it was still the old 3-page document. What the heck?! All this is happening on my desktop. On a brand new computer with the latest updated Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neverending fun from the rollercoaster known as Adobe. As they continue to increase the cost of a CC subscription obviously that money isn't going to product testing and development to make sure that the increase in cost is reflected in the quality of the product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true. Not sure what my workaround will be, except to have a system where I name every PDF by a new number, I guess. Thankfully I work alone. I can create my own janky Adobe workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: If I delete the previous PDF, and then try to save under the same name, it somehow magically reverts to the old PDF. For example, I made a pdf from InDesign yesterday. It was 3 pages long. I went back in and added a page of photos, so it was now 4 pages long. I deleted the old PDF. I exported to PDF, saved it as the same name as the InDesign file, and when I opened it, it was still the old 3-page document. 

By @defaultql86e42gcovh

This all sounds strange.

By any chance, is it possible that you exported a page range 1-3 (not all pages) and that's why the new page 4 didn't appear?

Also, try to run a test in a totally different folder (for example, a new folder in your Documents folder) - will it make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines