• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot recover file because it "cannot be found"

Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm running the latest Indesign on a MacBook (latest OS). Today Indesign crashed while I was working on a file. When I restart Indesign, it asks me whether I want to recover the file and if I confirm, it tells me that the file could not be found. 

This might be because it is on a NAS? I can open the file from the NAS, however it is still the old version without the edits from today. Is there any way of recovering it? I also have Time Machine Backups of Indesigns local Recovery folder.

I've also noticed that I cannot open NAS files with the open recent icons, but it works with the open dialogue. Maybe this is a related bug? see image

Quick help would be appreciated very much 🙂

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

The file path is practically impossible to decipher from the Preferences > File Handling dialog. Visit the InDesign file recovery Help page to see the default file paths to the InDesign Recovery folder for both Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign menu > Preferences > File Handling > Document Recovery Data

Here you will see the path to a recovery folder. Have a look in that folder. Maybe the backup file is in there.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Thanks, but how can I see the full path there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file path is practically impossible to decipher from the Preferences > File Handling dialog. Visit the InDesign file recovery Help page to see the default file paths to the InDesign Recovery folder for both Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm aware of that page and I've checked those folders already. They contain data, I've also got Time Machine backups of earlier versions (cf question above), but they are useless if Indesign is too incompetent to open them just because the original file is on a network location. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How ridiculous to Mark this as "correct answer" when adobe is too incompetent to provide a reliable autosave function and is not even able to comment here. I'll try affinity, maybe their software is more reliable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines