• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Replace Type 1 Fonts?

Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign Document that I created about a year ago (I update it annually for a client). It uses several Franklin Gothic font variations. When I first opened this document yesterday, I saw the common warning from Adobe that Type 1 fonts are being deprecated, and that document contains quite a few as can be seen here...

Capto_Capture 2022-03-10_03-15-10_AM.png

I have gone through this before where I select the OTF replacements that I have with the same names and hit "Change All" and this has always worked on other documents until now.

I am on Mac Pro 2019, latest version of InDesign and Big Sur latest version. I also use Suitcase Fusion to activate and auto-activate fonts (as always in the past). This shows the OTF replacements for some of the fonts in question in this document...

Capto_Capture 2022-03-10_03-26-32_AM.png

When I try to replace the Type 1 fonts with the OTF activated versions I get this garbled result...

Capto_Capture 2022-03-10_03-32-41_AM.png

I have tried everything I can think of - restarting everything including computer, saving as IDML and opening that - always the same result? I can make changes to text inside the document without  replacing fonts, but I have no idea where it is getting that Type 1 font info from as I have removed all of them on my system? The problem so far has only shown up in this one document and I no longer get the Adobe font warning when opening it?

If I open a NEW InDesign Document and choose ANY of the same OTF fonts used in the problem document they work perfectly. If I got to Find/Replace fonts in the new document it looks perfect - no Type 1 fonts.

If I make text changes to the problem document (without trying to update the Type 1 fonts) I can successfully save a print PDF - I just cannot update the fonts to fix it for the future.

I have several other multi-page documents for this client using the same older fonts and now I am scared to even open them.

Any Idea how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022
  1. Do you work with Paragraph & Character Styles? You should do so.
  2. When you replace fonts activate the option to redefine the styles. (Item 1 must be YES)
  3. The Mac has several places to save Fonts:
    • System/Library/Fonts (never do make any changes here)
    • User/<Username>/Library/Fonts, 
    • Library/Fonts
    • Library/Application Support/<Softwarebrand>/Fonts
    • inside some Application Packages in its Ressource Folders
    • Font Folder aside any saved INDD file.
    • In the same folder as the Application (like InDesign) is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do you work with Paragraph & Character Styles? You should do so.
  2. When you replace fonts activate the option to redefine the styles. (Item 1 must be YES)
  3. The Mac has several places to save Fonts:
    • System/Library/Fonts (never do make any changes here)
    • User/<Username>/Library/Fonts, 
    • Library/Fonts
    • Library/Application Support/<Softwarebrand>/Fonts
    • inside some Application Packages in its Ressource Folders
    • Font Folder aside any saved INDD file.
    • In the same folder as the Application (like InDesign) is another Font Folder

I recommend to make it clean to have the fonts only in a single folder, but do not make any changes in the System Font Folder.

Fonts can be included in EPS or PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Willi,

Thanks this set me on the right track to a solution. Of course, I will need to go through my entire system and weed everything out.

The document in question was in a folder where I had "packaged" the content in InDesign. That in turn created a "Document Fonts" folder inside the packaged folder - that is where it was going first to find the fonts used. Once I deleted that "Document Fonts" folder (and slected Redefine Styles as well), I was able to successfully replace all the Type 1 fonts with OTF versions from Suitcase.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me start by saying I haven't used Suitcase in twenty years, but when I did it was the source of countless font problems.

What you are seeing looks to me very much like multiple versions of the same font name are being loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines