Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Cannot save, save as, or export when using InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to save, save as, or even export. Each are listed in the File menu and when I click on them, nothing happens. I click to close a file, I get a dialogue box with the options to "don't save", "Cancel" or "Save". If I click "save", it does nothing. If I click "Don't Save", it closes the file. 

I have deleted the preferences, I have uninstall inDesign and reinstalled twice, I have unstalled and reinstalled Creative Cloud. I've tried creating a new file and add a color block and a text flock with text and try to save or save as and still same response.  I do not get any error messages.

I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any ideas? I've spent hours googling and looking thru help...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which (exact) version of InDesign and OS?

Some thoughts:

Which (exact) version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Do you have any third party apps installed, such as a font manager?

Just to double check you've reset the preferences correctly:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

If you have the correct system specs and resetting the preferences hasn't helped, try the Adobe Cleaner Tool to uninstall InDesign before reinstalling it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I've discovered that my monitor adapter is creating the problem. When I unplug it, I am able to save, save as, export again. 

I did delete the preference files.

I've uninstalled/installed inDesign and Creative Cloud. 

I am using a MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.0.1, InDesign 2022 (17.0)

1TB with 803.9 GB free space

I used Suitcase Fusion 22.0.0

I'm goign to see a tech tomorrow and have them take a look at things before I run out and buy another monitor adapter. I think I'll let them to the cleaner tool. I'll post tomorrow if I learn anything else. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suitcase has historically caused a lot of problems. I know you've isolated the monitor adapter, but you might want to check if turning of Suitcase also makes a difference.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my thread, they know since last week. Still not working... 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/unable-to-save-or-export-files-from-indesign-202...

I tried 2 adapters. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your patience. Are you using macOS?
If yes, we're currently investigating this issue. Please upvote this issue here and stay tuned for updates.
As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings back to original. Steps are shared here.
  • If that doesn't help,  we would suggest disconnecting the external monitors.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ashutosh, 

Yesterday I did work with a tech and we tried downloading the previous version of inDesign to see if that would change things and it did not.

I just changed the primary montitor to my laptop monitor and things appear to be working. I moved my inDesign screen back to one of my connected monitors and it is still working. So maybe that is the fix.

Carissa

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines