• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot save the document. It may be opened by other applications. ....

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I've upgrade to Indesign CC 2018 (13.1.0.76) from CC 2017 and now everytime I want to save a document (new or existing)  the same error message appears.
"Cannot save the document. It may be opened by other aplications. Close applications and try again. You may also use Save As to save it into a new document."

The Save As option works fine, but for my worklow this is unacceptable. When I work localy, the problem doesn't present itself only when I want to work from a company server. I have permission to read and write on the server. I have no idea what the problem is.

Before updating everything worked fine in the 2017 version.

I know there already exist a topic about the same issue, but it was never solved and its already a few years old.

So i thought I open up a new one.

Does anyone have a solution??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

I suggest speaking to your network administrator to see if the network software being used has been updated to be compatible with CC 2018. Since you are still working on Windows 7 it seems likely that your network has not been updated and could be quite old. Aside from that I would suggest working locally and backing up to the server at the end of each work session.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Sorry for the delay in response. Please try the steps shared below: 

1. First go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Unlock in lower left -> Add desired Adobe Softwares -> Make sure they are checked
  2. Next, scroll in the left column to "Full Disk Access" -> Add desired Adobe Software -> Make sure they are checked
  3. Lock in the lower left
  4. If open, software will need to be quit and restarted for changes to take effect.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 7 Professional; 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest speaking to your network administrator to see if the network software being used has been updated to be compatible with CC 2018. Since you are still working on Windows 7 it seems likely that your network has not been updated and could be quite old. Aside from that I would suggest working locally and backing up to the server at the end of each work session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving these InDesign files to a cloud-based location? Or opening it from there on multiple computers?

I ask this because almost universally when you cannot save a file, but you can always save as with that file, it means there is a conflict between the previously-saved file and the InDesign-created temporary file which holds changes made to the document.

There are a number of reasons why that would be, as well as options for fixing the problem. Sometimes it's a conflict between file types/suffixes between InDesign template and document files. Sometimes it has to do with network file privileges and stepping outside those privileges when working with InDesign files. Generally, it happens by juggling InDesign files between cloud locations and local/network folders.

We'd need some more information from you to discern which situation(s) apply to your problem, because what you're doing to create the symptoms will determine what fixes will cure your problem. I've got my suspicions, but it's hard tellin' not knowin' your specific situation. With more information, we can help you find the cure.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working from a local server system with company wide access but with no outside access.

My department is the only one who works with the InDesign documents, and no two people at the same time.

I have no idea what I'm doing to create the symptom.

I'm just creating the document and when I want to save it the error message appears.

With the CC 2017 version everything worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also consider "time stamp" problems of the open files on the server compared with your local machine: The InDesign document plus the corresponding idlk file that is generated when you open the document and will removed when closing the document.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue--cannot save document- may be open in other applications- however I don't know where else it may be open. I work on a mac and save all my work on an external hard drive. So I don't know where to look to fix it. Help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @spookie2 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try turning off the Time Machine for testing and then check if you're able to save the file or not. For information on how to turn it off, please try the suggestions shared here https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201250#:~:text=Open%20Time%20Machine%20preferences%20from,Preferen.... and let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Turning off the Time Machine backup for this drive did not help. Any more suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. Is this happening while saving the file locally? Try to save the file on the desktop and let us know if that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always works when I save it to the desktop. Problem in that is I keep all my files on an external hard drive, so I have opened it from the external hard drive, but it won't save back to it--even when I tell it to replace the old file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response. Please try the steps shared below: 

1. First go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Unlock in lower left -> Add desired Adobe Softwares -> Make sure they are checked
  2. Next, scroll in the left column to "Full Disk Access" -> Add desired Adobe Software -> Make sure they are checked
  3. Lock in the lower left
  4. If open, software will need to be quit and restarted for changes to take effect.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, I am also having this problem. However I am on a network running Windows 10 Enterprise. 

Hoping you can post a solution for my operating system.

Regards

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines