• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot update linked file on shared drive in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm opening a new thread because this one was closed: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-unable-to-update-linked-files/td-p/10694211?page=3

This is an ongoing issue in InDesign. If you make edits to a file (say a PSD) on a shared drive (such as Google Drive File Stream), then go into InDesign to update the link, you get an error message saying the file cannot be opened. The only ways to get InDesign to update the link are to either rename the file (which seems to cause InDesign to recognize it as a new file) or to quit InDesign and reopen it.

The previous thread had multiple people saying they were having the exact same issue with the same error message, so I'm not sure why the thread was closed for "covering way too many topics" or being "well over a year old." The thread is over a year old because the issue has existed for well over a year and has not yet been fixed.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mod also said "If you have an issue with the current version of InDesign then create a new discussion," and the issue exists in the current version of InDesign so here is the new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea why they locked the last thread as it seems to be an ongoing issue, but here we are. I am having the same issue with indesign and google file stream. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with InDesign and Google Drive File Stream. I would love to find a solution. 

macOS Big Sur 11.0.1

InDesign 16.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reposting @noktulo. Well said on all accounts. With more and more people working off shared drives such as Drive, this is a major issue for designer workflows. Adobe, let's get a solution to this soon please.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you that the last thread shouldn't have been closed – it still seemed very relevant and singularly focused to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I've just tried it on Dropbox and the re-linking works fine. Still problematic on Google Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do we know if this issue was resolved somehow with InDesign and Google Dirve, I'm having the problem with Indesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines