• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Caption number listed twice in table of contents

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a table of contents for all the figures in my document. Each figure has an assigned number (ex: Figure 1-1., Figure 1-2., Figure 2-1......Figure 8-5.). Immediately following each caption number is a description of the figure (ex: Fig 1-1. Cutaway view of gear assembly.). When I generate a table of contents for these figures, the caption number is written twice (ex: Figure 1-1. Figure 1-1. Cutaway view of gear assembly). What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the "Figure 1-1." a part of the caption text, or from an autonumbering sequence? If it's part of the text, any TOC, TOF or cross-reference link will bring in that text as part of the entry.

Either number your captions, or number the TOC/TOF entries, but don't do both. Since you want your captions numbered, don't use any autonumbering on the TOF.

There are some fancier options, especially if you use Cross-Refs, but that's the basic approach.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It is from an auto-numbering sequence. They are not part of the text.

[KRI Logo]<>

[Facebook Icon]<> [LinkedIn Icon] <> [Instagram Icon] <> [twitter Icon] <> ionsources.com<>

Russ Martin
CAD/Manual Controls Technician

(PII removed by moderator)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please delete and destroy all copies of it and its attachment, and notify the sender immediately by reply email or telephone. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can either turn off any auto-numbering of the TOF entries, or at the bottom of the TOC format dialogue, make sure "Exclude Numbers" is selected.

I am pretty sure you are numbering the entries in both places; turn one off.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines