Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalogue automatization help

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

So, I don’t know if any of you know can help me with this, but I have a new Project where I must create a Digital Catalogue for a brand that sells ovens. They sent me several pages with information and symbols/features (see image bellow) and they want to create a box with text for each symbol (which is easy to do individually) but I would like to know if there is any plugin or InDesign feature that allows me to create a symbol database where it automatically knows the symbol and each description, without having to copy paste to each page.

Thank you for your help.

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

IndyFont may be a soluton for you. It lets you create a font with each character being one of your symbols. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

@SJRiegel has one part of the solution if your symbols are only colored with one swatch.

What I do not know is how your customer provides the information for every symbol.

Could you tell more about that?

After creating a font with all the symbols you still have to find specific text your customer provides and change it to the right symbol. This may be done with a series of GREP Find/Change actions. You may be able to do this with the FindChangeByList.jsx script that comes with every InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IndyFont may be a soluton for you. It lets you create a font with each character being one of your symbols. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@SJRiegel has one part of the solution if your symbols are only colored with one swatch.

What I do not know is how your customer provides the information for every symbol.

Could you tell more about that?

After creating a font with all the symbols you still have to find specific text your customer provides and change it to the right symbol. This may be done with a series of GREP Find/Change actions. You may be able to do this with the FindChangeByList.jsx script that comes with every InDesign. But I'm not sure if that is sufficient for your use case.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines