• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Center all Indesign text frames with just one click

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody. I imported, from Word to Indesign, a document of about 800 pages (text only). Everything is already perfect, except that each text frame must be centered on each page. Is there a function that allows  to do this with just one click, without having to align frame by frame? Thanks you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Turn off layout adjustment.

On the Parent Page(s) adjust the margins so they are the same as the text frame edges.

Turn on layout adjustment

On the Parent Page(s) adjust the margins to be equal as they were previously.

Do this on a copy for safety.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Indesign version 17.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carmen,

has every text frame the same width?

Is every text frame threaded to another one so that there is one single story that is flowing from page to page?

Why not creating a document where the page margins left and right have the same value.

When you flow a text to that document automatically all text frames are centered horizontally.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say for sure since it isn't clear what you have now, but it might work to "enable layout adjustment" and then change the margins on the applied Parent Page. Try this on a copy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the replies.

The structure is shown in the attached screenshot.

The frames are the same throughout the document and the text flows from page to page.

The page margins (top, bottom, inside and outside) are already set equal and therefore centered.

I tried to work "enable layout adjustment", but this only affects the size of the frame and not its alignment.

I tried to use "find - replace", but there is a function only on the vertical justification, and not on the horizontal one that I would need instead ...

Any suggestions? Thanksstruttura indesign.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the margins to match the frames, then resetting them back again with layout adjustment turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the change only affects the selected frame. If I try to select the whole document, it has no effect on the other text frames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Turn off layout adjustment.

On the Parent Page(s) adjust the margins so they are the same as the text frame edges.

Turn on layout adjustment

On the Parent Page(s) adjust the margins to be equal as they were previously.

Do this on a copy for safety.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! It worked! Basically, once I entered the Parent Page, I had to go to margins and columns to activate the layout adjustment and to perform the last step.

Thank you very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines