Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Center Section Name in Running Head

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Support Community,

On my master page I have a section name in the running head, and the length of this name changes depending on the section. I want to always have the section name centered. But--I also have a page # in the running head. If I try to center the section name, it moves both the page # and the section name. Is there a way to leave the page # where it is at the edge, and center just the variable section name so that it is always in the center? 

Thank you for your ideas.

Lis

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021
If I understand correctly, the easiest way to do this would be to use two text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Hi Lis,

you could do this in the following way:

Have your running head text variable in a text frame with center alignment of the paragraph.

Anchor a text frame with the auto page number right after the text variable.

Some screenshots from my German InDesign 2021 below.

A Master with a running header text variable centered that picks up text with a certain character style.

Anchored to the insertion point before or after the text variable a text frame holding the auto page variable:

CenterSectionNameInRunningHeader-1.PNG

Two do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, the easiest way to do this would be to use two text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lis,

you could do this in the following way:

Have your running head text variable in a text frame with center alignment of the paragraph.

Anchor a text frame with the auto page number right after the text variable.

Some screenshots from my German InDesign 2021 below.

A Master with a running header text variable centered that picks up text with a certain character style.

Anchored to the insertion point before or after the text variable a text frame holding the auto page variable:

CenterSectionNameInRunningHeader-1.PNG

Two document pages with the result:

CenterSectionNameInRunningHeader-2.PNG

Download the document from my Dropbox Account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuw323347pazo2n/CenterSectionNameInRunningHead-2021.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was so helpful---it taught me a few things I did not know how to do---but for this particular case, it did much more than I needed, so I did the 2 text frame solution above. I will keep all this more advanced information as I move forward----Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines