• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes in Reverse Layout in recent releases? [MENA]

Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else out there noticed that the Reverse Layout tool isn't working exactly as it has in the past? I'm not ready to post a bug report about it yet, simply because I've not done the work necessary to isolate it. However, I have a suspicion that recent versions of ID (only talking about 16.4 and 17.0 right now) don't reverse layouts nearly as well as they used to. 

If you don't use the ME edition, you'd have no idea what I was talking about, as it's a tool that we use when we start with an e.g. English document, and want to lay it out in a right-to-left language. I have a form (a State of Oregon form that is commonly used to apply for things like food stamps or state-sponsored medical care) which started as a Pagemaker document many years ago, and which I've formatted in more than one right-to-left language. Because of the way it was built, I've seen the same kind of glitches or errors produced by the Reverse Layout tool, over the years. For example, objects that are nested in three or four layers of groups sometimes don't get affected by the Reverse Layout tool, or reflect around anchor points that seem impossible or unlikely. 

However, this year I'm working on some new RTL languages for this form (Pashto, right now) and the Reverse Layout tool left muchof the document completely untouched. Parts that were reveresed wound up with weird alignments, as if the objects were reflected around their own midpoints instead of the middle of the page. Am I the only person seeing this? My case is an edge case, for sure, but I wonder if I'm the only one reversing layouts that were poorly laid out to begin with.  

Just to throw out some boundaries: I've already tried exporting IDML and re-importing, to no effect. I have also tried changing exactly what the tool does (e.g. delete frame content, reflect images, etc.) with no significant effects, at least none that would merit a bug report. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joel Cherney wrote on 21 November 

Is it only in this document that was converted from PageMaker or is it an issue in all documents?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run some tests, and it seems like that may be the big difference. Files that started as PageMaker files seem (in 16.4 at least) to mostly fail when I use Reverse Layout, but files that are comparatively recent seem to work basically okay in Reverse Layout. I just had a string of new translations of old files, I suppose. That is why, after four very manual layout-reversals, I wound up posting this. If it's only PM files, I don't think it's even worth filing a bug report over it. Still, thanks for guiding me towards the cause!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @Joel Cherney . If that wasn't the issue, I was going to tag the ACP who is a MENA expert.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines