Exit

Changing imported AI layer visibility moves content

Advocate ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Just started seeing this...

I've imported a two-layer Illustrator file.

When I hide one of the layers, the other moves, even after clearing frame fitting options.

Previously, everything seemed to stay put... Any ideas?

thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to give us more information: Screen captures of before and after would help. Your system information: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Even better would be to post a link to the file for us to test out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve -
Running on Monterey 12.6 (21G115). ID version is 17.4.

Content is currently confidential, but I may be able to re-create it.

I believe ID is trying to center content, and because the content of the layers don't contain identical x/y dimensions, it moves after one is turned off. It should not.

I worked around it by adding a frame on each layer in AI and cropped it out, but I can't recall having to do this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another possibility: If it's only just this one file that is having that problem there could be subtle corruption in the file. Try saving as an IDML file (File > Save As InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. Reopen the IDML file and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines