• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing layer visibility of CC library object causes image to shift

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a logo file with an optional background. The background is larger than the logo, which is centered in the background. I want to allow users to turn the background off and on, using the "Object Layer Options" control.

• It works as expected when the logo file is imported through the Place command. It requires placing it with custom import options, to preserve the bounding box, but it works. 
  • However, if I bring in the logo using CC libraries, then the logo shifts position when the background is turned off or on. Basically it appears that InDesign crops the content to what is visible. This makes the logo jump to the top left instead of remaining centered. 

I've tried a couple workarounds to fix them, but I cannot yet make it work with CC libraries. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your logo depends on showing transparency being turned on in Show Import Options when placing in InDesign, you must use a special technique because that option isn't available with CC Libraries. The issue is described in this article:

https://creativepro.com/how-to-place-cc-library-items-with-transparency/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the transparency option is the default now. I did not need to do that to get transparency. The issue is that InDesign wants to crop the image data to remove all completely transparent pixels or areas (I'm using a vector image, so it's not really pixels). I tried a hack of applying a very fine, almost invisible hairline to the image to define the border, and that seems to work, but I worry that it might show up somehow. So I'm not really happy with that solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not that experienced using CC Libraries to import images, so this might not work.

It seems the problem is the backgound adds to the bounding box for the logo. Try duplicating the background frame, giving it no fill and no stroke, and putting on the same layer as the logo. This should give the logo layer the same bounding box as the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a good idea. However, I had tried that and it didn't work. It also didn't work if the invisible box was set as a clipping mask for the object inside or grouped with it (trying to get InDesign to see them as one). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines