Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the Name of a Group

Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

In previous versions of InDesign, if I clicked on a group listing in the Layers panel, I could customize the default name for a group listing from <group> to any name, simple by clicking on the listing name to highlight the text. This no longer works for me.

Now that I'm playing with this, I'm realizing you can no longer change the defailt names of any objects. Yikes! This is awful.

Anyone else having this issue?

Naming objects in a complex document can be extremely important, so I hope it has not gone away in the latest version of the application.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

It looks like it's broken in the current version of InDesign CC 2021. I can't get it to work here. The method was "click - pause - click".

In fact Mike Rankin wrote it up in 2017:

https://creativepro.com/naming-items-layers-panel/

Maybe it's only on a Mac. I'm on Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working OK here in Woindows 10. Clickj once, then again to highlight.

You might bneed to trash your prefs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter!

I trashed Preferences and still have the same issue. The names of objecrt are unselectable

By the way, I'm on an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 using Big Sur version 11.5.1.

I'm working on complex interactive layouts with lots of animation and buttons.Not being able to name all of the objects is maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it's broken in the current version of InDesign CC 2021. I can't get it to work here. The method was "click - pause - click".

In fact Mike Rankin wrote it up in 2017:

https://creativepro.com/naming-items-layers-panel/

Maybe it's only on a Mac. I'm on Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I never saw this issue before, until this latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't that a Mac only issue in an earlier release of InDesign? I guess it's back because like Peter, I find no issues here on Windows with 16.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still works on version 16.2.1 on Mojave. I suspect that since 16.3 was created to coexist on both the M1 chip and the Intel chip that finding old time features that no longer work correctly is only to be expected. It's like trying to create a tire that will fit on any car. The tire might look like it fits but most cars will certainly have a problem getting anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine on Windows 10 and fine on my MacBook Pro macOS 11.4 Big Sur

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I have the problem on my MacBook Pro with mac OS 11.5.2 and InDesign CC 2021 v. 16.3.2.

What InDesign version do you have on your Mac?

I also reset preferences and editing a Group Name or anything else definitely doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine on my Macbook Pro running Big Sur 11.2.3 and InDesign 16.3.2.

--Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED FOR ME in next version. I'm a beta tester and version 16.4 is about to be released.

When I tested the problem in 16.4 I could rename a group with the "click - pause - click" method! (See below)

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.27.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this issue just officially got weird. 

Now, for some unknown reason, I can change the names of Groups and Objects in the Layers panel as expected with a click on the name to select the existing name. Still using InDesign 16.3.2 on Big Sur 11.5.1. Nothing has changed on my computer except the issue went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're in the US, you should get 16.4 by Tuesday next week. It's already being rolled out to other geo regions. Then I think the problem goes away (but more people need to test this of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines