• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Checkboxes not correctly added to article (for tab sequence)

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reworking an interactive PDF and I've been updating the forms.
I've problems with new checkboxes that I've added to the forms.  When I add them to the articles they're always added as <rectangle> and not with their actual name.  It seems like I add the rectangle of the checkbox but not the interactive element itself.  
I've tried selecting them in different ways (single-click, double-click, drawing a rectangle around it) before adding it but it all gives the same result.
I've not yet tested if the tab sequencing works but because some forms contain hundreds of elements it is annyoing that all checkboxes have the same name.

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Well checkboxers are unique in that they have multiple possible states that can be modified (i.e. Normal On, Normal Off, Rollover, etc.). Make sure you're not double-clicking on the object or you'll be in the state. Also, use your Selection tool and not the Direct Selection tool to select the checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to my above post.  Here's some extra background.

The Object > Interactive > Tab sequence panel is still correctly showing my object names.  I know this is the preferred way of setting the tab sequences but I find that it lacks some functionality when compared to the Articles panel.
Here's what I miss:

- The article panel can be enlarged.  My forms have many elements and in the Tab sequence panel I constantly need to scroll and I sometimes lose the overview.

- When you click an element in the article panel it gets selected in the document itself.  This helps to identify them when in doubt.  (I try to give each element a good name but when you have so many it sometimes is hard to distinguish them)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now encountered an issue where I renamed several fields using the buttons and forms panel but I still see the old names in the Object > Interactive > Tab sequence panel.
So now it's guessing which fields in this panel are the ones in my document as clicking on them doesn't highlight them in the document.
I'm really not sure what is going on.  On other pages renaming a field would directly be reflected in this panel but not here.
I would really appreciate some insight on what is going on. (or what I'm doing wrong)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about some basic info. What version of InDesign? What operating system? Where are you testing things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 17.0.1 (Windows - x64)

Auto updates are on so this should be the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you're using the Articles panel tells me that your objective is to make your PDF form accessible. It's worth noting that the name of the objects have no relevance for accessibility per se. That being said, the name that you give the object in the Buttons and Forms panel is not recognized by the Articles panel. But if you rename the object in the Layers panel, it will apply to the name of the object in the Buttons and Forms panel AND will be reflected when the item is added to the Articles panel AND in the name when adjusting the tab order within InDesign.

Also, don't confuse the purpose of the Articles panel with the purpose of setting the tab order. Where the Articles panel sets the TAG order of PDF tags created in the PDF, the TAB order sets the tabbing order when someone hits the tab key on the keyboard. Two different things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I want the tag and tab order to be the same, that's why I do the adjustments in both places.

If I rename the object in the layers panel I can see the new name in the button & forms panel (and vice versa) but no matter where I do the name change, it never gets reflected in the articles panel.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what version of InDesign you are using but I'm using the latest release. What I am finding is that the Articles panel reflects what is defined in the Layers panel. Even if you rename the item in the Buttons and Forms panel afterwards, the Layer name remains and so does the name of the object in the Articles panel. See screenshot below.

2022-01-31_07-26-28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 17.0.1 on windows x64
This should be the latest version as auto-update is on.
See screenshot below.  Left the articles panel where the object is '<rechthoek>' (rectangle in english)
On the right side are buttons and forms & layers where you can see the name I've given to the object.

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-31 133440.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't really explain what you're seeing. I suppose it could be an issue with your localized version of InDesign? I have no way of testing that on my end. The reality is it doesn't matter. As I said before, that name won't appear anywhere in the accessible PDF that you generate from InDesign. All should still work correctly, you're just not seeing the proper name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.
Do you know if there's a way of selecting the checkbox (the interactive element) versus the square (the graphical element).
I've now started working on a next page, I'm doing exactly the same (or at least I think I'm doing exactly the same) and for this page it works.
Could it be that I select the check boxes in another way without knowing it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well checkboxers are unique in that they have multiple possible states that can be modified (i.e. Normal On, Normal Off, Rollover, etc.). Make sure you're not double-clicking on the object or you'll be in the state. Also, use your Selection tool and not the Direct Selection tool to select the checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.

If you select the object with the direct selection tool and add it to the article list it adds as a <rectangle>.
If you use the "normal" selection tool it will add the check box.

Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines