Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Client Word doc into Client InDesign Template

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi y'all,

I'm receiving a 100+ page formatted Training Guide (Word) doc that will need to be placed into the Client's already created InDesign Training Guide Template. Any suggestions on some good resources to do this? YouTube hasn't been helpful in this regard, and I haven't found this specific issue in Adobe Help.

Thanks,

Scottie

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The very short version is to review and make full use of the import menu, especially the style mapping features.

Open a copy of the ID template and make sure it is completely empty of contents. Then place the Word file starting in the first page's master text frame. Before you click Open, be sure the teeny tiny Show Import Options box is checked (I believe it unchecks by default on each instance).

Be prepared to clear everything and start over a few times until you get the import as matched as possible.

And ask any further questions once you've ridden this process around the block a few times. 🙂

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMGosh, you're awesome and my new BFF! I will try it and reach out with any further questions. Thanks so much, Scottie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that's often overlooked or minimized is to do as much fixing in Word as possible. Importing a big mess to ID and then trying to fix text and formatting errors is, at best, the slow and clumsy path. Particularly in early rounds, don't hesitate to dump the whole ID import, do sweeping changes (spell check, delete excess white spaces, make global style changes, etc.) in Word and then re-import. Whereas ID is much more powerful in layout and style management, Word is much easier to do such "word processing" changes in, at least until/if you master InDesign scripts and GREP searches.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also look for some excellent training videos in LinkedIn Learning about this task. I think by Anne Marie Concepcion:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/word-and-indesign-integration

and https://www.linkedin.com/learning/word-and-indesign-integration/an-overview-of-placing-importing-wor...

If you don't have a LinkedIn Learning account, sign up for their free trial which will give you enough time to learn this task.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bevi, for the links and info! Scottie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, check your local library--they might have a LinedIn Learning subscription that you can use--for free! (Mine does.) All you need is a library card (also free).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's super cool thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines