• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Commercial Use Files - way of tracking times sold?

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm wanting to sell an Indesign file to a business for commercial use, they will then resell the item with their branding. Is there a way to keep track of the amount of times they sell the file/product (other than branding the product which i cannot do)?

Or is this left up to good will on their behalf.

Thanks,

Naomi

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

You could host it on a website that requires a unique code to download it each time. 

Similar to secure logins. 

So each time they sell it they are required to insert their phone number/email address

This then triggers a security service to send them a unique code

They enter the unique code

They are then prompted to enter the end users email to send the file.

It's a complex one - because you could just do it once to your own email - and pay once and have the file forever.

There's no way to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There ain't a way to do that afaik, the file can't call back home to let you know where it landed and also sale is a conceptual thought, for a file the sale is just similiar to copying it from one folder to another. I don't know much about NFT's so if someone knowledgeable could see if this could be solved by NFT's somehow.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could host it on a website that requires a unique code to download it each time. 

Similar to secure logins. 

So each time they sell it they are required to insert their phone number/email address

This then triggers a security service to send them a unique code

They enter the unique code

They are then prompted to enter the end users email to send the file.

It's a complex one - because you could just do it once to your own email - and pay once and have the file forever.

There's no way to securely password-protect any file either.

I mean once they have the file once - they can put it on their site forever or send to whoever they want.

----------------

Solution - don't sell it by volume of units sold.

Sell it as a singular unit to them for a price that you're both happy with.

And a service add-on plan of x-amount a month paid directly to you for troubleshooting/edits/updates etc. 

That way you get a fixed amount for your product.

Plus you get a quarterly fee of x-amount to fix up.

I'd be careful with the service add-on plan - this would be up to you. 

But I'd be adamant that this happens once a month or once a quarter and you deliver the files.

You don't want to end up in a situation where you're tweaking the template everyday for 100s of customers.

----------------------------------

Another option and probably a bit more expensive to start up 

There's online drag and drop layout viewers - you upload your InDesign file - and it makes it a drag and drop template. You choose your locked down items and editable fields etc. 

Then the end user can only edit the items  you allow.

There's other qualifying controls too - like image resolution - so if they upload an image to use and it's too low resolution it won't upload and requests a higher resolution image. 

They're quite robust. 

So a service like this (not saying this is the one for you)

https://www.2imagine.com/onlineeditor

But you control the content that goes up there - you get the stats on what's downloaded - you control the data.

And the end users and go online - edit online - and download a final InDesign document.

But you're in control.

I'm pretty sure you can whitelabel the skins (to show your customers branding (not yours).

-----------

There are options - my last option there is something I've done before and it's great - you can get exact stats etc. on everything done which makes it easily billable - as you control the platform.

In essence though you're also the service provider - which means troubleshooting problems. But again, you can roll that into monthly/quarterly/ case-by-case/ basis to charge more on top of what it costs to edit/download your files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Eugene, that's very in-depth. 🙂 I'll look into those suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines