• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer freezing with Adobe CC products

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last few days (during a particularly crazy project time--of course), my computer has been freezing up when using (so far) InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro. I've had to do hard and soft reboots several times--including about 6 reboots in the span of about 30 minutes today. Please help. I use CC 2021 products on a Windows PC (all updates to date made).

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

An application cannot freeze the entire system unless there's something seriously wrong. Whether it's a bad driver, bad RAM or something else, I don't know.

While it may be the CC apps exposing it's not the CC apps causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your computer specs?

1. Hard drive space
  2. RAM
  3. Graphics Card

As it's happening with all apps

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An application cannot freeze the entire system unless there's something seriously wrong. Whether it's a bad driver, bad RAM or something else, I don't know.

While it may be the CC apps exposing it's not the CC apps causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your insights. I was in the middle of a crisis project and didn't fully have time to explore--just kept rebooting. Yes, I believe that Bob is right, that it was not caused by the Adobe products (nor Windows, nor a conflict between the two). I now believe, after further investigation, that it was a graphics card problem. I also realized that my computer was five years old and likely failing. So I've purchased a new computer and will start afresh! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is utterly untrue. The performance of software is completely dependent on how that software has been written, and it's use of system resources, and optimisation of that. A badly written PHP application could sap the life out of the most powerful servers on earth with a decent sized database and a lack of thought as to performance considerations. The same is true of all software. A machine that can perform perfectly well when being used as a music DAW using completely non-adobe software, and perform perfectly well with multiple other providers software, and then suddenly becomes a dog with adobe applications, might be exposing poor performance optimisation in adobe software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob says, this sounds a lot like a hardware problem, hard drive or RAM, but I've also seen cases where extremely large files cause problems for ID, particularly on a system with minimum resources. One of the main things that can cause such file bloat is pasting graphics instead of placing (linking).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This top answer is total BS and the usual line of rubbish supported by Adobe's "community support". 

If Adobe is ruining your life, search for "optimising performance" and whatever app you are using. Lightroom for example, will run a bazillion times faster if you set it to use smart previews for image editing, close down all the panels for histogram, sharpening and the like when not in use, set the camera raw cache on a disk with plenty of free space and enlarge its size, and various other hacks etc. 

Adobe applications are notorious for being designed as if every user should be expected to be running a £20k workstation and their bloatware ridden, auto-updating, resource sapping software is so capable of crashing your machine that it has become subject of jokes on Robot Chicken. 

It absolutely can and will freeze your machine if given half an opportunity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone's having a bad day. Feel better now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This top answer is total BS and the usual line of rubbish supported by Adobe's "community support". 

Adobe applications are notorious for being designed as if every user should be expected to be running a £20k workstation and their bloatware ridden, auto-updating, resource sapping software is so capable of crashing your machine that it has become subject of jokes on Robot Chicken. 

It absolutely can and will freeze your machine if given half an opportunity. 

By @andyb31425377

Well, that's not true.

Firstly:

We're not Adobe's "community support" - we are Adobe Community Professionals, with a badge by our names as recommended high-ranking forum members who help other users just like ourselves. 

We do not work for Adobe.

Secondly:

With no issues, I have a €1000 laptop that runs Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.

A lot of the time when I've helped people resolve the computer issues they had issues with Adobe products it was usually due to a systems upgrade, an unrelated application update, firewall, or other 3rd party interference. 

But the first thing people do is come here and complain that Adobe is ruining their life. 

It's not true.

Computers are machines. 

Just like any other machine it needs to be maintained. 

If you own a car you likely change the tires, top-up the oil, put petorl/diesel in regularly, change the wipers - and when the time comes bring it for a tune-up with the garage. 

A lot of the times - it's just people not maintaining their hardware/software/firmware/drivers/general computer maintenance. 

Unfortunately for them, they don't know how to fix it.

Fortunately for them, there's free help here from seasoned professionals to lend a hand to a fellow user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus you don't have to have it auto-updating - it's an option to turn it off. Which I have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But your top response doesnt advise the user to enter task manager and block all the autoloading bloatware from the start up programs, to go into them all and switch off all the auto-updating, and hey, couldn't auto updating simply be a task scheduled to run when you shut down a machine, not when you just switched on, and actually want to use it? It doesn't suggest that they might need check remaining disk space for things like camera raw cache, etc, etc, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why have you chosen to strip out the element of my reply that specifically guides people to actually pursue reasonable steps to improve the performance of adobe applications? 

Why is your top answer suggesting someone must have a fault with their machine, and that an adobe product is incapable of crashing it? 

If you want me to demonstrate how an adobe product can freeze a computer for half an hour and lock out all ability to do anything else whatsoever, in essence, crashing the machine, but can perfectly happily perform the tasks required by taking some basic steps in software setup to lessen the performance bottleneck (steps which Adobe developers could automate, if they could be bothered) then I am more happy to upload video proof demonstrating that it's nothign to do with the machines performance and everything to do with the software being used. Do you want me to do that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a chill pill. I'll reply in the morning.

I choose to quote the part I wanted to respond to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm perfectly chilled out thanks. I wasn't insisting you respond. 

However, to further my point, I am running an i5 11400, with 16GB of DDR4 3000 Mhz, all on SSD's although not top of the range they perform perfectly adequately, on an ASUS TUF mobo so not bottom range chipset, higher spec cooling, and a GTX 1050ti. So specs that would obliterate a £1k laptop. In my music product DAW, I can run insane numbers virtual instruments, VST plugins etc, etc, all from an array of different developers. 

And yet I can happily have lightroom crash my machine producing a panorama of just 3 42mpg raw files, simply because I haven't gone back into preferences, selected use smart previews when image editing, have a few panels open etc. 

Now if Adobe's software was being designed properly, it would not assume it's fine to bottleneck my SSD to 100% utilisation locking me out of using it and making a 30 second operation take fifteen minutes, and would simply either manage it's processes to allow my machine to retain background functionality, or would automatically swap onto using smart previews for high intensity operations, and automatically switch back to high quality when I am performing simple editing. This would mean I could actually determine how sharp images are, and also work on complex compositions, without having to routinely hack adobe's poor optimisation of resource management. Hell if its properly optimised, why is the nature of the preview file being used affecting the performance of blending multiple images at all? Do I need a preview during a render operation?

If there was an insufficient amount of spare hard disc room for the camera raw cache it would warn me (but actually it is clearly using more than is set as the limit in the software itself as multiple users on the web have suggested moving this onto a disk with more headroom as a performance improver and I can verify the voracity of those claims from direct experience). 

So I find it strange, that an adobe community "professional" as you have corrected me, would immediately defer to blaming the machine, rather than advising people to take logical and demonstrably accurate advice on how to improve performance before assuming a fault that could cost them huge amounts of time, money and stress solving by repeating the same diagnosis by trial error that so many users have clearly experienced, that there is a mountain of performance optimisation guides for adobe products being offered by industry professionals on other websites. 

The only logical answer I can find, is that this is basically a propaganda platform. And hence I enjoy occassionally coming on here and taking a nice big steamer on their efforts to present a glittering facade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome to start your own thread and perhaps we can address these issues you have.

At the moment it's not helping the OP or addressing their current issue. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the contrary, it is useful for everyone searching for creative cloud apps stalling their machine where this forum lands as the top result, and had the OP been offered similar advice, they might well have found they did not need to invest in a new machine. You could also just provide a rebuttal right here, if you had one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Genuinely I don't know the whole story.

The solution was accepted.

There's nothing more we can do unless the op comes back.

Again if you have specific examples you wish to discuss that relate to your situation and testing please start a new thread.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines