• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant Changes/Sharing Feedback/Keeping Old Settings

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear every time there's an update, there's some new change that complicates my ability to do my job. In this latest update, where Adobe lands when placing images and saving/printing files is all jacked up. 

In the past, every time I "printed" a page proof, InDesign (and Illustrator) took me to the last folder I'd saved a file to - which is always my Page Proofs folder for whatever issue of the magazine I'm working on. When I placed an item in the layout, it took me to the last folder I'd placed an item from (which is typically the advertiser folder or the image folder). 

Now, since the latest update, whether I place ads/inages or print/save pages, it takes me to the last folder I accessed for either. So I'm constantly having to click back, back, back, to get to the parent folders then find the issue folders or advertiser photos. 

While this may not seem like a big deal, it throws me off my stride and adds more time to each step I take - and at deadline, that's NOT optimal. 
It isn't just this update though. It seems like every single month when I start a new issue, there are changes I have to figure out and overcome, or my fonts are missing, or my settings have changed. Oh! And the biggest thing - every time I open a previous issue of the magazine I produce, I have to RE-LINK all the assets!! I could almost understand opening a file from five years ago, but I just opened the December issue and 72 links had to be updated!! What's the point of being careful to save all files to specific folders and keep everything neat and organized if Adobe keeps unlinking everything every time there's an update?? 
I've tried just NOT updating, but then the program stops working properly or little glitches pop up. 

Can't you just leave the program alone and do an annual update - or just fix critical bugs but allow us to opt out of design changes that we may not want???
This is SO FRUSTRATING!!

TOPICS
Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is unlinking your images - if this is happening it's likely the Links are looking in the wrong folder. 

If you've moved them manually it's going to look to place where you originally linked them from - not the place where you manually moved them.

In the links panel - you can use the menu to Copy Links To - and choose a folder - this will relink your images to this new folder destination.

Or the best way is to Package the files. 

You'll probably need to adjust your workflow for archiving. 

-------

And updates and can reset some preferences - I guess. 

You might get some resolutions here

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-2021-saving-files-in-a-different-folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know not to move linked items, or edit them, or rename them. I have a very practical file system and once a file is created for an ad or an issue, it stays there, untouched, until the next time the link is accessed by InDesign or Illustrator. I'm not a complete idiot. 

A few weeks ago I did a test and created a dummy InDesign job. I created a folder on my hard drive and in it I placed an Illustrator ad design, a pdf, and an image. I placed these items into the dummy InDesign file as linked items, then saved the InDesign file and closed it. I just opened it, three weeks later, and both the Illustrator ad and the pdf file were showing as missing links - even though I hadn't moved them, renamed them, edited them, or even opened them!

I don't know what you mean by adjusting my workflow for archiving. I don't want to archive files - I periodically need to access them again - which is how I know that links are being lost. I open a file I created three months ago and find 154 missing links.

I have a dedicated hard drive for magazine design, everything has its own folder and spot, and I don't change or move any of it, EVER, so that I can go back to a file from August of 2016 or July of 2018 and reprint something if needed. And on the occasions when I do use something, I create a copy and open the copy. I don't edit original files. 

I remember back in the day when you paid for software and had a problem with it, you could call tech support for help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines