• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contextual Alternates OpenType font feature

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have purchased  a font to help create books to be used to help kids with joined up writing. The seller assured me that if I used software which supports Contextual Alternates OpenType font feature, then this will join up as I type.

Needless to say this did not happen and it was suggested that I required a newer version of Indesign. I now have the most up to date version and I still cannot make this font work as it should. Am I missing something (apart from 70 quid lol)?

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance 

Babs P

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Hi all

I've only just got this issue resolved. The font supplier downloaded InDesign especially to try to work out what was happening. 

I have to change the paragraph setting to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer.

Now I've got no excuse not to get on with the job lol.

Thank to everyone who gave advise.

Babs x

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign definitely works with Contextual Alternates. I've seen it work, although I don't use them often. What font did you purchase? What font foundry did you buy it from? Since InDesign is probably the application which would use such a feature the most, your type foundry should be able to help you make it work in InDesign, or you should ask for your 70 quid back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Thank you for your message. The font is called Linkpen, bought from JoinedUp Resources (cursivewriting.org)

They too have suggested a few fixes, but none are working at the moment. The font works in pages and keynote but I dont like to design in those. Just hoping that my constant searching will find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're a subscriber to InDesign CC you have access to hundreds of Adobe fonts that are free to download and use, scores of these are categorised as Calligraphic and would suit your purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Thank you for your message. 

I will look into what is available.

The supplier have suggested a few fixes, but none are working at the moment. The font works in pages and keynote but I dont like to design in those. Just hoping that my constant searching will find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this posting from the FontShop may help you:

https://www.fontshop.com/content/enable-contextual-alternates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this to no avail, but thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've only just got this issue resolved. The font supplier downloaded InDesign especially to try to work out what was happening. 

I have to change the paragraph setting to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer.

Now I've got no excuse not to get on with the job lol.

Thank to everyone who gave advise.

Babs x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer is ONLY when you use text other than left to right in a paragraph, never for any western text only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read many community comments and I still cannot figure out how to see the blue highlight/underline (on context menu) of a glyph when I know there is an alternate. I know I can use the glyphs panel, but its so nice to see that blue pop up and quickly view what the alterntives woud look like without leaving the text area. Anymore suggestions? Ive checked language, adobe world-ready paragraph composer, the setting is checked for type contextual controls. At a complete loss! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines