Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert PSD to PDF

Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

In my latest version of Acrobat DC Pro (as of July 2022), I just now discovered that I can open a Photoshop PSD file into Acrobat and have it become a PDF file. It used to be you could open just about any bitmap file *except* a PSD. I always found that odd, but now Acrobat Pro DC can do it. My question:

When did this feature add on to Acrobat?

PS: I know this is the InDesign forum, but the Acrobat forum doesn't have the answer. 

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

And he's correct, I just chose File > Open on an InDesign file I recently created. Rather quickly, it was perfectly converted to PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another trainer who's just now learned this. (Thanks @Mike Witherell !)  I have one question, and I don't know if anyone is capable of testing it, because I know everyone who has answered thus far.

Can you open an InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator file in Acrobat if you don't have the application itself installed? My guess would be "no".

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick test: I uninstalled Photoshop on my backup MacBook Air. It's running my Creative Cloud account, and has a current copy of Acrobat. I copied a PDF from via Dropbox onto my MB Air desktop. I could convert the PSD file into a PDF file with no copy of Photoshop available.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo should be: "I copied a PSD file via Dropbox onto my MB Air desktop."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe David Creamer is right: the conversion takes place in the Adobe Document Cloud, not on your computer. That's why the file has to be uploaded, then downloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that was obvious - at least for me - there is an upload percent bar that appears at the bottom of the screen saying it's uploading to the cloud.

It would be awesome feature to include actual PDF settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing, Steve, that useful information. I'm guessing people won't need Word or Excel installed anymore either.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing, Steve, that useful information. I'm guessing people won't need Word or Excel installed anymore either.

Jane

By @jane-e

That may not be the case, as here Steve says basically that support has been added for all native Adobe file formats and that Adobe takes advantage of the Adobe Cloud. So, I guess, this is different for any non Adobe format. DOCX is, however, also an open file format, so I may be wrong with that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane appears to be right. I uploaded a word.docx and I am able to edit it, including styles, in a browser version of Word. How they do dat?!?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@will25171488kyd3 wrote:

Follow these easy steps to convert your PSD files to PDF:

That wasn't the question. The question was "When did this feature add on to Acrobat?" and it has been answered.

Jane

EDIT: This reply to "will25171488kyd3" no longer makes sense because all 128 of his posts (including this one) have removed by an administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"5 years ago - give or take. It's not just PSD - but all the Adobe native formats (PSD, AI, INDD). We take advantage of your connection to the Adobe Cloud and our conversion services.

"I can try to find a more exact date if you really need one..."

It also existed before in Acrobat Pro 9 (2008), it was a kind of virtual printer which launched InDesign (or Photoshop or other) to locally convert the document into PDF.

It wasn't really reliable, besides Apple added a lot of restrictions to virtual printers in MacOS and so it was removed in Acrobat Pro X and XI.

Because it was highly requested by users this feature came back more perfected in Acrobat Pro DC using the Adobe Cloud for the conversion.

This ensures the reliability of the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines