• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Persian InDesign book to ePub

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been going back and forth about the shortcomings of InDesign for RTL languages for many months. Adobe Support claims they are aware of the issues and will fix them in the next upgrade. I have to thank the development team. They could correct one of the main issues in fixed layout as before it could not even convert a book to a fixed layout, and now the capability has been created. However, even with fonts embedded, the system still works oddly as it changes fonts, repeats phrases and puts them into the epub. And we all know what disaster editing fixed layout ePubs are. So, the fixed layout again becomes useless.

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Feature request , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Salam Foaad,

Thank you for sharing your testing once again with us here.

So it appears that FXL can now again handle Arabic/Farsi to some extent but not fully. I have to give it a try later. You may want to update this bug report where it says "Under Review"!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @foaad61 ,

as I see from your screenshot you are using Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) to test your FXL EPUB exported from InDesign. I would also do this with other readers like Thorium or the Calibre e-book Viewer. I learnt that ADE is not very reliable.

Where exactly did the developers do the fixes for export to FXL EPUB?

Was it the MENA version of InDesign, only?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender,

The central part in FXL was that the converted epub was missing all textual content in Persian or Arabic. Now with En/Ar version, the text appears on the page but with shadows of parts of the text. A mix of English and Persian becomes a disaster as each text runs against the other (RTL and LTR). I test the epubs in Thorium and Calibre for FXL, and for reflowable, I also add Kindle Previewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salam Foaad,

Thank you for sharing your testing once again with us here.

So it appears that FXL can now again handle Arabic/Farsi to some extent but not fully. I have to give it a try later. You may want to update this bug report where it says "Under Review"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to include a screenshot of the FXL epub and how it breaks words at the end of the line and reprints parts of the text in some areas. Adding an English phrase or term within the content shows that it also creates run-ons (see image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it. Thanks for providing screenshots of the resulting ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines