• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy from illustrator in Indesign suddenly does not work anymore (!)

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just updated everything, because I had this problem since 4 hours, and now it stays 😞

Normally you copy a vector file from Illustrator, and paste it into Indesign. Like an Icon or so. Then it stays a vector, and you can colour it or reshape in Indesign. Works for years. But from today,... it stopped. When I paste a vector, it gets the Illustrator file boxed. It's not a vector anymore, cannot be altered or the flll and line changed..

HELP! I use this all the time, but now I can't and it's something that I must use!....

Latest version Ill, latest version IND, and Mac OS 11.7

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Wow. I restarted, downloaded the new versions, nothing happened. Restored preferences Illustrator - no luck. But when I tried to restore Indesign's preferences - it worked! Although it never prompted if I want to restore preferences and even my latest work was visible in the startup screen 🙂 
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would restore your InDesign and Illustrator preferences:

In InDesign on a Mac, quit, the immediately when you launch, hold down Cmd+Ctrl+Option+Shift. When prompted, accept that you want to restore preferences.

In Illustrator, go to the Preferences > General panel. Click the Reset Preferences.

With the defaults for both applications is should work. However, if your Illustrator artwork is too complex, it cannot be copied so it can be used as a vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow. I restarted, downloaded the new versions, nothing happened. Restored preferences Illustrator - no luck. But when I tried to restore Indesign's preferences - it worked! Although it never prompted if I want to restore preferences and even my latest work was visible in the startup screen 🙂 
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your illustrator options for clipboard handling - and also check InDesigns.

I believe, from memory, that there are options on how vector objects are handled via clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene Tyson

That's why I suggested the poster reset the preferences. Both applications have Clipboard preferences which affect copying. Resetting the preferences should make it possible to do what is desired (unless the Illustrator vector objecct is too large).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly - you might be right, as I said I was going from memory sorry if I cross-posted with your suggestion.

Definitely nothing wrong with resetting the preferences, but it might be also easier to check them first to see if there's anything changeable. 

But you're right! Resetting preferences would probably solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines