Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/paste excel table into InDesign

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I often have to make tables in InDesign, which I copy/paste from the excel file in which the calculations are made. Until recently (I guess after the latest update of InDesign) this worked very well, but now when I copy a table from excel, it pastes all data in the same column. I added two screenshots to make it more clear. The only way around now is copy/paste column per column, which is an absolute waste of time. Anybody who knows how I can solve this problem? Many thanks in advance!Screenshot 1 (excel).pngScreenshot 2 (InDesign).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed in the way tables work.

But I have a hunch you may have forgotten an important point: When you're replacing cell data in an InDesign table, first select the cells that need to be replaced, then paste the exact same number of cells from Excel/Word that you're replacing them with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

I know this is how it works, I've been doing some intensive copy/pasting of tables over the last years

The excel files are on a shared server and I open them on Citrix in a Windows environment. I then copy/paste them to InDesign which is running locally on my macbook in iOS. I now found when I first copy paste the tables to a local excel file in iOS, the copy/paste works... At least this is a way around that might already save me some time!

But until recently, the copy/paste also worked directly from excels in a Citrix environment (my colleague is having the same issue). Strange but probably it has nothing to do with InDesign then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I don't work in those fancy server-based environments. It adds whole new ways for things to screw up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are pretty lame responses to be honest.

I've seen several threads where this has been blown off as a user error - most def isn't!

Reality is. Copying from excel to InDesign used to paste into text areas as Tabs and Paragraph Breaks, now it pastes only with paragraph breaks.

nothing may have changed in the way tables work, but indesign (or OSX?) has certainly changed how it pastes copied (command + C) data from excel spreadsheets. bit of a hassle when you don't want to "place" a whole excel doc, just a few cells, and then have to spend a bunch of time formatting it again in indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying to do the exact same thing. Very experienced InDesign user here. I'm copying and pasting a very large excel document into a table and even the hard returns (and tabs) are not formatting into proper rows in the table! I have to go in one by one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your settings in Clipboard Handling Preferences > When Pasting Text and Tables from Other Applications: there are two choices

* All information (Index Markers, Swatches, Styles, etc.)

* Text only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Steve, this two choices nothing solves when you want to update old table e.x. pricelist, tech specs etc.

I have the same problem. Copy table from excel and than paste it to InDD - it pastes all data in the same column. But, when copy table from excel to word, and than to InDD - it works. But, this way with word is very harsh and timewasting.

Same problem when I use local Numbers, it paste in one same column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i swtiched to text only and it fixed my issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukas,

I came accross something similar weeks ago on an updated Mac OS X system.

Usually I could select some tab delimited text with InDesign, copy it to the clipboard, select one cell in Excel and paste all the contents in so that every tab delimited contents landed in its own cell. Not so with a recent version of Excel. I had to convert the text to a table in InDesign, select all cells in the table, copy to the clipboard, select one single cell in Excel and paste it.

I still can copy tab delimited text from InDesign to Excel on Windows 10 and every delimited contents is transferred to its own cell.

Maybe something changed with OS X or with the latest version of Excel on Mac OS X ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

OK, I understand your case. You describe way from InDD to Excel.

But I have problem with opposite way - from Excel (or Numbers) to InDD. steffenm32535037 in first post it described - table with more collumn is pasting to InDD to one column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukas,

yes, but I wonder if my issue and your issue shares the same reason.

Did you try the following:

Just select only one cell in your InDesign table before pasting.

On Windows 10 this is still working; just tested that.

I suspect a Mac OS X issue.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear,

I solved problem. Problem was in Citrix Workspace and in version of Office. I have had version 2010. After upgrade to 2016 version is problem solved.

I think, that very big problem is in constantly new updations with Adobe CC, updations with MacOS etc.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukas,

thank you for sharing your experience.

So now you are working with Office 2016.

What's your exact OS X version?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Catalina 10.15.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, my problem with copy/paste is back. It function about one week. No update system MAC, no update citrix, no update adobe cc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a quick fix for this today guys which might be useful for you. If you paste the content from Excel or Numbers into TextEdit first (or WordPad for Windows I guess) then copy it again from there and it keeps the tabs so you can paste it into your InDesign table. I only tried this with one column so can't say for sure if it works across multiple columns. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a dream. Pasted multiple columns and rows from Numbers into TextEdit as plain text and then copied and pasted into formatted tables in InDesign. Copy pasted perfectly respecting all the styles set-up in the InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked beautifully here on Windows, but using the Notepad (not Wordpad).
Also, worked with multiple columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printscreen key on your keyboard.

It takes a picture of your screen and keeps it in your clipboard.

All you have to do is ctrl+v (paste) and crop it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi steffenm32535037,

did you mark Nina5F88's solution as the "Correct Answer" here?

I do not think, that this answer is correct at all, because a printscreen is just an image, a bunch of pixels.

And if you paste it inside from the clipboard you even cannot tell with InDesign's functionality what effective resolution is used when scaling it. ( Unless you trigger InDesign's Preflight in a special way. )

For now I will unmark this answer as the correct one.

Of course you could convince me otherwise, but one need some very good reasons using a screen shot of an Excel table instead of an InDesign table with editable table cells.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me, on Windows Excel 365 -> InDesign, was to change InDesign's clipboard handling to text only. After that, copying and pasting directly multiple rows and columns works as intended, preserving all preset styles in InDesign, without the need to use in intermediary application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy and paste from Excel into an existing table in InDesign, it causes an extra empty row between every existing row, which is frustrating to clean up. I found that if I copy from Excel -> Word -> InDesign, then the entire table is pasted correctly in InDesign with no extra rows/spaces.

I guess InDesign doesn't correctly interpret the data and formatting from Excel, but when copied from Word, which is an actual table, InDesign has no problem pasting it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jeppe27002532ayuh ,

just a guess: perhaps every other row in the Excel table is a hidden row?

( And Word consolidates the table? )

Currently I have no Excel at hand to test this…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Laubender 

No hidden rows. It's just a simple Excel sheet.
But - I just did a test, and have discovered the problem now. If I copy from an Excel sheet that is opened in Sharepoint in the browser, then the additional empty rows are added. If I open the same document in the desktop app, then I can copy and paste just fine. So the clipboard input from Excel in the browser probably contain some additional hidden data, that InDesign then create rows for. That just a guess on my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines