• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/Paste Text Clears Character Panel

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a text box that I've only typed text into, the character panel shows the character values when I click the text box with my selection tool. 

But if I paste text into a text box, the character panel only shows the character values if I select the text within the text box. Clicking on the text box with the selection tool shows empty values in the character panel. 

Added a screenshare. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably you will find in the selected text different text setting, mixed styling. If you paste text don't do it via “paste”, but via “paste without formatting”. This is a different command in the edit menu.

But much better is to work with Paragraph Styles, not with the Character Panel. Apply the correct Paragraph Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Willi is right; you have a mix of different fonts in your text frame after pasting the formatted text.

Because of that the character panel is not able to show only one font.

From my German InDesign 2022 where one blank character is formatted with a different font:

MixOfFontsUsedInTextFrame.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to highlight style overrides and see if there are differences in formatting to the applied paragraph style like that:

MixOfFontsUsedInTextFrame-StyleOverridesHighlighterEnabled.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines