• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying Illustrator graphic to InDesign crashes Illustrator (and sometimes InDesign)

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with icons the past week and copy and pasting them into InDesign to reduce the amount of linked files in the final package, but a problem that I had been running into (and many others from what I've googled) is that when I copy and paste the icons into InDesign both programs crash. Most people have not found a solution but I think I have a workaround that might help someone since it helped me.

When I was copy and pasting the icons from Illustrator, they were compounded paths and had a gradient applied already.

If you paste the Illustrator graphic into InDesign with the gradient it would crash, but when I made the stroke/fill just plain white, it would not crash.

This would allow me to then adjust the color of either the stroke or fill in InDesign, rather than applying it before copy + pasting. So if you are running into this problem I would recommend trying to make the colors just a plain white or black.

Not sure why this works, but if this works for someone else let me know!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason why you're copying/pasting AI content into your InDesign document rather than saving the Illustrator file and using InDesign's File>Place... menu to put it in your document?

Copy/Paste from your system's clipboard is not the right way to put art into your InDesign documents. Jus' Sayin' ...

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to disagree here (with qualification).

For simple artwork there is absolutely nothing wrong with pasting from Illy and in some cases is actually preferable because it brings in live objects. Of course for complicated graphics you wind up with an embedded EPS which is awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Randy's comment. File > Place your AI art. Only the simplest drawings can successfully copy and paste between AI and ID. Something like 500 anchor points max, IIRC.

Did you check both apps preferences? I set AI to copy .aicb (Adobe Illustrator Clipboard). It it comes down to gradients, I would definitely use Place command.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why worry about linked files in the InDesign file? Too many embedded graphics can lead to document corruption.

When you C&P from Illustrator, simple graphics are converted to ID graphics*; overly complex graphics become embedded.

*Gradients are usually in a clipped frame with an embedded image, much like a photo.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradients (if properly created in Illy) will be added to the swatch panel allowing you to re-use them.

Bottom line is that there are legitimate uses for copy/paste from Illy, but this does require that the user have the proper knowledge about what's going on under the hood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use the gradient C&P all the time, however, once I paste into ID, I delete the AI graphics. There sole purpose was to get the gradients into ID. I still place the any actual AI files.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the crashing! I know that's really frustrating. Could you please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign & Illustrator
  • Submit the crash report by following the steps suggested here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html) and let us know when you do it.
    While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.
  • Does the crash happen with specific InDesign and Illustrator files?
  • Could you package the Illustrator & InDesign file, including fonts & links, and share it with us? You can upload it to Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM. We will take a look at it.
  •  Are you using any clipboard app, extension, or plugin?
  • Where are the Illustrator & Design files & links saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, as suggested above by @Randy Hagan, does it crash then?

We are here to help. We Just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines