Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corporate Reporting and automation of data

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I run a department of analysts using tools like SAP Business Objects (BO), Microsoft PowerBI and SAS Enterprise. The department outputs weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports that dont change much in terms of look and feel. At present these reports look quite aweful and does not do much for my department or companies reputation. The recipient of the reports are mostly external clients.

I would really like to make use of the powerful Adobe stable of products to design a report template but I am concerned with the manual entering of data and, the chaging of charts etc. Would it be possible to automate data collection and update of text, charts etc?

Microsoft PowerBI doesnt cater much for pagintated reports. SAP BO does cater for paginated reports but you are very restricted with designing a very well polished product. SAS Enterprise also falls flat on paginated reports.

Looking forward to any and all advise.

Roelof

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a template report and use placeholders for variable text and graphics. You can then either use InDesign's data merge function or create a script (or have created) that does the same in principle as data merge. I would go for the latter because is much more flexible and customisable.

With scripting virtually anything is possible. For example, a script can create various types of graph from a table with data. Those native graphs will look better than placed graphics, and, again, are tweakable and customisable.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter, 

Can you point me to any training etc resources that could help me setup such a template and scripts?

Roelof

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really know about resources that deal with this specific request. What I've done in the past is this: create your report, and add placeholders for variable content. Make sure that that content is easy to find, either bt adding text tags such as << and >> or by adding character styles, or text conditions.

As for the data, they can be in a text file that's structured consistently. A script can read the text file and insert the data in the InDesign file. Or the data could be in a table that's placed in the template file. But since you suggest that the data come from external programs it's probably easier to use an external text file for the data.

In principle it's not particulalrly complicated. It depends on how complex the data and the template are, how well you know InDesign, and whether you can write a script to populate the template.

As I said, I don't know of resources that would guide you with this, but I can outline things in more detail and make suggestions if you're interested. You can write to me directly if you want at pkahrel@gmail.com.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter, you are awesome. Thank you so much for the help. I will start as per your suggestion and will ONLY reserve emailing you should I REALLY get stuck.

Roelof

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked into an XML-based solution?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines