• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt font? does not read Romanian "ț" properly

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - I use a company brand font that has the Romanian "ț" letter in glyphs, but does not recognize it properly when applied at existing text. InDesign does not recognize "ț" at all, MS Word shows it in bold. At least some success.

Is the fault with InDesign or the font?

Thanks,

Karel 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Thanks much, Uwe, you have caught the point!   I will go ahead with the GREP Find/Change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

That´s a good idea. Thanks, Willi!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that this font contains this “ț”?

That this letter is shown in Word does not mean that it is in this font as Word can replace missing glyphs from their internal font database, which is in their program folders. 

What font type is this? What font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi - I am using Honeywell Sans Book (OTF font). When I change a paragraph style from an old Helvetiva to Honeywell Sans Book, it creates errors as shown in pic_1. I have to use Find/Replace command to fix the wrong characters. Pic_2 shows the glyph menu, offering the correct character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karel,

could be that Honeywell Sans Book has the glyph on a different Unicode code point than the old Helvetica.

To check this, select one of the missing glyphs in your text and read out its Unicode value with InDesign's Information panel. A sample from my German InDesign:

InformationPanel-UnicodeOfSelectedCharacter.PNG

I'm not sure about the Unicode value of the character you want to use for substitution.

If I copy/paste the character from your post it is  Latin Small Letter T with Comma Below.

Then its Unicode value is 021B. I looked this up on the web and also in my Glyphs panel.

If the Unicode values differ you can do a GREP Find/Change action where you are looking for a code point like:

\x{xyzz}

replace it with the new value for Latin Small Letter T with Comma Below:

\x{021B}

NOTE: value xyzz is not an actual Unicode value. My screenshot above is showing a missing glyph with Unicode value 1E6D which stands for Latin Small Letter T with Dot Below.

As I said above, you have to check that with the Information panel when the missing glyph is selected in your text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, Uwe, you have caught the point!   I will go ahead with the GREP Find/Change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose if you create a character style with a font with that letter you can use the GREP as part of the paragraph style. That’s what I do in such cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That´s a good idea. Thanks, Willi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines