Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create "block of text boxes" template

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody...

Let's say I have a catalog and I have block of information in a specific layout for every single product in the catalog. For example:

Name (with a specific paragraph style) aligned on the left.

Product code (with a different paragraph style) aligned on the right.

Product price (with a different paragraph style)

Is there any way to make some kind of a "template" for this block so that if in the future I decide to change the order of the information (e.g. I want the product code on top and the name below) I won't have to make this change manually for every single product in the catalog?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't done as a template, but a paid script is offered at ID-Extras that can change consecutive paragraphs. Check the script's site out here: https://www.id-extras.com/products/change-consecutive-paragraphs/

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the layout and size of each box is identical, and if you have all the info stored in a data file (excel, csv, tab-delimited text) then you could use Data Merge for this. For a more complex layout, EasyCatalog has this capability, bit its learning curve is a bit challenging, partly because advanced technique tutorials are difficult, if not impossible to find outside of their own proprietary (and quite expensive) options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the size of each information box IS identical, the thing is that they are not in the same position in every page. In other words, there are multiple records in every page, and with a different layout for each page (or group of pages to be more accurate). There are pages with 2 products side by side, there are other pages with 3 or 4 products one below the other, it depends on the product type and picture.

I always thought of Data Merge as more suitable for cases were the layout is identical for each page and you just want to change the data for each page (like business cards).

The thing is that I DO have all the information in an excel spreadsheet so it would be really cool if I could save some time by creating a record and copying it around in each page where I need to.

Oh, and to make things more complex, the products in the excel file are not in the same order as in the catalog. So the "perfect" workflow would require me choosing the product code and the rest to be auto-filled. But that's too advanced I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do a lot of this, then EasyCatalog would be a worthwhile investement. It is capable of doing exactly what you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I read what I wrote I see there is some room for misunderstanding.

When I say that there are multiple records in each page, I mean there are multiple products in each page. Each product has a bounding box with different size depending on the product type, a picture, some have some additional info and a short textbox with information. Only the last one has the same format in each product, so that's what I refer to as "record" with the same type of info and different values for each product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the sort of thing that EasyCatalog is meant for. You can have multipe product layouts, and apply them separately to each product. (You can even add info in your spreadsheet about which layout to use for each product, if you want. - Or choose the layout at the time that you place the product on the page.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with SJRiegel. The only thing I would add is that there are a number of companies that make catalog/data plugins, so you might want to research them (at least, the major ones) before purchasing. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Unfortunately this is the first time I'm asked to do something like this, so it's to early to tell if it would be worth the money to invest in some of these plugins.

I'll keep them in mind though, thank you all very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In the Paragraph style make a paragraph style for each kind (Name, code, price)
  2. Specify in each style the next style.
  3. Create an Object style
  4. Activate Paragraph Styles, in this section acrivate next style
  5. Import your text as independent (not linked) text frame and apply the object style.

You can save the object with the object style for further use in the CC Libraries. It is always helpful to give the styles with the same functionality the same name. Avoid naming styles according to their appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer, I tried all the steps from 1 to 4 and I think I get the idea of object style in general. But I don't think it solves the issue of a potential swap in the order of the information. Unless I'm missing something.

This is the main issue I'm facing, I've setup a whole catalog with about 120 products with the code first and the name below, now I'm asked to move the name on top.

What do you mean in step 5 though? Copy and paste the info from each line inside the excel document? Or do some kind of data merge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you bring the text into the document you need obly aopply the object style to format the whole text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but that would affect the style, not the content itself (in my case the order of the text). Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines