• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Text "highlight"

Engaged ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to create this effect to highlight a menu listing. I'd like the highlight to move automatically with the listing. The highlight is a framed box with a "paper" fill set to 60% opactity. I can't use Paragraph Shading as part of the style - can't alter opacity. Can't use an anchored object, as anchored objects won't go behind text (don't know why, seems like it'd be a useful feature). 

Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @davecourtemanche:

Boy, that was a puzzle!! Try setting the Fill blend mode to Overlay, then you can anchor it but the text still reads as dark brown. 

~Barb

2023-05-22_18-37-48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really not sure why Anchored Object doesn't work for you?

I've set one up here as an example - the highlight text is set as an object style.

That way you can just the object style and all instances throughout the document will update. 

I didn't assign any paragraph styles - but the object style should have the Paragraph Style included too - which you can edit yourself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the difference. @Eugene Tyson. My text is in a single text frame, with an anchored frame over a paragraph (as per @davecourtemanche's description of his approach). I needed to change the blend mode to stop obscuring the text. In your example, you are putting the text in its own frame and anchoring that. Two approaches, both work. 

~Barb

2023-05-23_07-42-05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb

I was just curious why anchoring was not working - as it seems to be ok for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, I'll give that a go. I'm always in the one text box camp myself. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. If you have any questions, just let me know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, the dark brown text is a deal breaker. I guess I should feature request. This seems like something they should be working on. I'd love to see the transparency effects worked into the Border/Shading Paragraph styles. I work in menu design and it'd be super handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What dark brown text?

You can turn off the overprinting for black. And the black will be just black as it will knockout the behindm

Not great for print but would/should work for online

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

75% of the work is for print. Using Barb's method, the black text turns brown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try my file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm confused, Dave. My text isn't turning brown. 

~Barb

2023-05-24_15-40-35 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines