Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-issue with SVGs between Illustrator and InDesign

Enthusiast ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I am having a hair-tearing issue which is involving both InDesign and Illustrator. Posting to the Illustrator community got zero answers in about three weeks, so I hope someone will be able to help me here. I will try to describe the issue to my best. 

1. Start from a PDF exported from a non-Adobe app (I used Sibelius, Dorico, and others, with the same result)
  2. Open the PDF in Illustrator 26.3.1 (the issue reproduces partially in the latest version from 2021, will mark precisely what and where). In the opening dialog, check All for Select Page and check the box to import links. Result: both versions of Illustrator will import the file perfectly, with 9x12in artboards corresponding beautifully to the PDF page size. 
  3. Save both files as AI documents. The default options I see are as follows (this is from 26.3.1 where there is a warning about raster effects which is not clear to me. Such warning is not present in v2021)
    Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 23.06.42.png
  4. Now, close both files and reopen them, possibly from Finder, but it should work the same from Illustrator's home page. In 26.3.1 it will open completely deformed, as this:Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 22.38.15.png
    In 2021 version it will open normally. Doing a clean reinstall of 26.3.1 doesn't show the deformation but the issues do not end here.
  5. Now go to File > Export > Export for Screens, then set it to export all artboards to SVG with these settings (which I think are good because without converting to outlines InDesign will complain about missing fonts)
    Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 23.13.32.png
  6. Now, place these SVGs into page-size graphic frames carefully set up in advance into the destination InDesign document (page size 9x12 in). This will be the result (screenshot taken from InDesign 17.3):
    Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 23.18.50.png

Selecting the graphic handle shows a possible issue with the exported SVG: look at the horizontal size of it:
    Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 23.19.10.png

At this point I am completely stuck as this is possibly the 20th musical score I repeat this process in the last year or so, and never it has given me these results. Settings are the same as always and I cannot understand what is going on. 

I am attaching a PDF from the offending batch that you can use (only for testing) to reproduce all these steps with the same file that started it all. 

I truly, and deeply, appreciate any droplet of help you will be able to give to me.

Thank you in advance so much

P.S.: I even tried to "fix potential font issues" with Acrobat's Print Production Postflight automation, then opened the PDF in AI, saved as .ai, then exported to SVG with convert to outlines chosen. I will let the attached SVG speak for itself... 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Hi Inélsòre,

had a quick look into the SVG code of your Arboard1.svg:

<svg id="Layer_1" data-name="Layer 1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 648 864">

The issue with the code above is that only viewBox is defined.

Properties width and height and their corresponding values are missing.

And that is crucial if you import SVG graphics to InDesign.

Solution ( not tested yet ) :

Uncheck option Responsive in the export to SVG dialog in Illustr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, place these SVGs into page-size graphic frames carefully set up in advance into the destination InDesign document (page size 9x12 in). This will be the result (screenshot taken from InDesign 17.3):

Hi @Inélsòre , Why do you need the .SVG format? Are you exporting the ID pages to ePub/HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, EPUB ... I know ... if you look at my past posts you will see all the pain I have already endured...

Since things were difficult but in the end working, I have no idea why they are not working now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. SVG are only useful for EPUB and only PDFs for screen use, never for print.
  2. Otherwise use PDF/X-4 in InDesign.
  3. Illustrator is NOT a common PDF editor. Only PDFs created in Illustrator (when all links and fonts are available) can be edited without destruction.
  4. If you place a linked PDF into Illustrater and reduce transparency with converting strokes and fonts you could save the appearance.
  5. Don't use multipage AI functionality for SVG. A single file for each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. indeed, I am trying to open the PDF in Illustrator to then export to SVG and build the EPUB in InDesign. It has worked properly until May 31st when I published the second-to-last edition of my musical scores. The last two, though, in mid-June, and yesterday, had the issue described above. The edition in mid-June was saved by repeating the workflow in Illustrator 2021, but this time, it didn't work. 
  2. Could you enlighten me on what maked PDF/X-4 different and why I should use it in InDesign? Are you suggesting it for EPUB or in general? When I need to export the ordinary PDF version, adding ordinary PDFs to InDesign works, no problems there. 
  3. Still... this workflow has worked until the end of May. I cannot understand what is broken now. 
  4. I did as you suggested but the issue described in my step #6 above persists. I truly need someone knowledgeable to look at this and find why the final SVG is so wide when the artboard is 9x12in.
  5. I will remember your advice but I see no reason why multipage worked until the end of May and now it isnt. 

In short, I would appreciate if someone tried to reproduce the steps above with the provided files and tell me where things are breaking. I think, though, that I can provide some more clues. After @Willi Adelberger suggested step #4, I now notice something strange in the AI file. Look at the attached pictures: the text boxes are just huge (and for no reason). 

Thank you for your time, everyone, I truly appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Inélsòre,

had a quick look into the SVG code of your Arboard1.svg:

<svg id="Layer_1" data-name="Layer 1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 648 864">

The issue with the code above is that only viewBox is defined.

Properties width and height and their corresponding values are missing.

And that is crucial if you import SVG graphics to InDesign.

Solution ( not tested yet ) :

Uncheck option Responsive in the export to SVG dialog in Illustrator.

Then both missing properties would be added in the code above.

InDesign should have no issues with the bounding box if this is done.

FWIW:
We discussed this a lot here in the forum.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this solved the issue.

It sounds strange to me because other times when I had "Responsive" checked it worked fine. 

FWIW:
We discussed this a lot here in the forum.

Are you referring to the fact that checking "Responsive" would cause the width-height not to be defined? How could I have known about this? I am mildly familiar with code so, how can I inspect SVG code? Sorry if I asked something that was already solved elsewhere, but I had no idea this was connected. 

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using illustrator for SVGs and gave up, don't really want all the hassle of going into the SVG file and editing code - just too idle!  I now use Affinity Publisher to generate SVGs - use them extensively and they appear so far to be totally trouble free in use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Inélsòre,

now that I went through the workflow, I had no issues when I did it this way:

[1] Open the PDF with Acrobat Pro DC.

> Convert all fonts to outline

01-ConvertFontsToOutlines-AcrobatProDC.PNG

[2] Open the converted PDF pages in Adobe Illustrator (see screenshots below)

> Saved to SVG when option Resposive is not checked.

02-PDF-Import-AllPages-to-Illustrator.PNG

03-PDF-Import-AllPages-to-Illustrator.PNG

04-PDF-Import-AllPages-to-Illustrator.PNG

Use Artboards checked:

05-SaveAs-SVG-from-Illustrator.PNG

Note, that option Resposive is unchecked ( it is checked by default in Illustrator ) :

06-SaveAs-SVG-from-Illustrator.PNG

07-SVGs-placed-in-InDesign-2022.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are you referring to the fact that checking "Responsive" would cause the width-height not to be defined?"

Exactly.

"How could I have known about this?"

There should be discussions here in the InDesign forum and in the Illustrator forum as well.

Ok, I was the one who made that publisc already in November 2019:

Now import SVG in InDesign !
Laubender, Nov 06, 2019

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/now-import-svg-in-indesign/m-p/10717683#M159403

At that time I did not know that option Responsive in Illustrator's save or export dialogs was responsible for not writing width and height properties. The solution to uncheck option Responsive came later after I tested a lot with Illustrator's various export to SVG options. Here a post from 2021:

Help with placing svg exported from illustrator
Laubender, Jun 04, 2021
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/help-with-placing-svg-exported-from-illustrator/...

Well, also be aware that there is a second important issue when working with placed SVG graphics.

But this could be only be important if you work with Publish Online. It has to do how you scale placed SVG graphics in InDesign. All details:

Images not exporting properly when publishing online
Laubender, Sep 01, 2021
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/images-not-exporting-properly-when-publishing-on...

"I am mildly familiar with code so, how can I inspect SVG code?"

Just use a text editor of your choice. SVG is just a special sort of XML. I worked with Notepad++ on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here some posts in the Adobe Illustrator forum that are releated:

how to export SVG responsive with responsive off using javascript?
Laubender, Mar 30, 2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/how-to-export-svg-responsive-with-responsive-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/how-to-export-svg-responsive-with-responsive-...

You said, that you already posted the issue also in the Illustrator forum.

Please share a link to this discussion.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link to that discussion: Another issue with Export for Screen > SVG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet another thing. You might have wondered why I suggested this as a first step in the workflow:

[1] Open the PDF with Acrobat Pro DC.

> Convert all fonts to outline

I placed your provided SVG file in InDesign and obviously had some issues with missing fonts or missing glyphs in the placed SVG:

MissingFontsOrMissingGlyphs-in-placed-SVG.PNG

InDesign 2022 version 17.3.0 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this issue arose when I did the following:

1. open original PDF in Acrobat
  2. apply the fix potential font problems fixup (not the one you used about outlines)
  3. opened "fixed" PDF in Illustrator (looked perfectly fine)
  4. exported to SVG outlining fonts (with responsive checked at the time)
  5. inserted SVG into InDesign

Do you think it is better to (1) outline fonts in Acrobat (2) open PDF in Ai (3) Export to SVG without outlining fonts again but unchecking responsive or (1) open PDF in Ai (2) Export to SVG outlining fonts & unchekcing responsive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you think it is better to (1) outline fonts in Acrobat (2) open PDF in Ai (3) Export to SVG without outlining fonts again but unchecking responsive".

Absolutely that!

I wouldn't trust Illustrator to use the right font styles if you open the PDF in Illustrator.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Laubender ,

I'm here again because, once again, I had issues in placing SVGs in InDesing. I swear, I'm not doing this on purpose to annoy you and the entire community. I also checked the SVG code with BBEdit, all files had width and height correctly defined, and yet... they were misplaced. The failing workflow was, sadly:

1. export PDF from notational software
  2. open in Acrobat DC and convert fonts to outlines with the dedicated preflight workflow (this saved separated PDF files as expected)
  3. open one of these in Illustrator, checked "All", then saved as AI. 
  4. File > Export As > verified that both Minify and Responsive were unchecked, tried both fonts to SVG or to outlines (but it should've not mattered) 
  5. placed files in InDesign, they were off-center. 

Opening the SVG alone back in Illustrator, I got this error:

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 17.37.34.png

...after which, the file opened in its deformed state, shown below:

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 17.39.04.png

What could have gone wrong?

As a temporary work-around, I have selected one-by-one the pages of the imported PDF in Illustrator and performed Object > Flatten Transparency with High Quality and both text and objects to outlines checked. Exported SVGs again, and this time it worked.

It would be nice to know what I did wrong in the first instance. Attached are the three SVGs exported following all the instructions in this thread, hoping someone will find anything useful. 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you simply adjust the position of the placed image within ID? When you say "off center," do you mean the actual page-image file is cropped, or that it's not automatically placing in an ID frame? Have you used various Fitting commands to reposition it?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the attached SVGs, they are exported wrong from a correctly sized PDF. Even opening them back in AI returns an error about something Tiny (possibly the SVG Tiny format which I did not choose?). 

This workflow used to work so something seems broken here, and not on my end. 

If frame had specific and wrongly set fitting commands it would not fit them well when I use the workaround described above. The pictures attached abouve show how the SVG gets exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, What’s the reason for using the SVG format vs. simply placing the PDF.

I assume it’s because the SVG is a vector format and is scalable? But if I place the PDF and export to ePub with the Resolution set to 300ppi, I get a PNG image in the ePub package that is 2700 x 3300 pixels, more than enough for a large tablet (e.g. iPad Pro).

Outlining the text removes the font hinting, so there is no longer an advantage with text vectors vs. the high res bitmap. The file sizes are similar 254KB for the PDF export vs. 276KB for the SVG export. If file size is a concern I can get the page down to 180K by opening the PDF in Photoshop and saving as a black & white Bitmap and placing that in InDesign.

I’m not seeing any meaningful quality difference when I view the 3 versions in iBook—see attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

thanks for joining the party!

You are absolutely right: in normal conditions there would be no advantages to using SVGs but, there is a big BUT!

At least in InDesign, when you export an indd to EPUB, all non-SVGs (possibly there are other resilient formats but I'm not aware of them) are converted using either of JPEG, PNG, GIF, at a ppi resolution ranging from 72 to 300. So, from vector to raster. If you unpack your EPUBs using an archive utility, you will find an "images" folder nested inside, containing your PDF pages changed to whatever was chosen above. 

Still, choosing 300ppi this should be good enough, right? Well, yes, unless you want to publish to Apple Books. Each page must not contain raster objects greater than 4 million pixels, which at 300ppi is sure. Then, InDesign adds some PNG blank images here and there that must be manually resized to allow for Apple Books EPUB validation. 

With the invaluable help of @James Gifford—NitroPress@Laubender, and others, we managed to find a workflow that allowed me to publish to Apple Books with a certain degree of success (in the upload phase, at least!). Once SVG are placed in InDesign, one needs to be sure to set the Object Export Options to "Use Existing Image for Graphic Objects", setting the file type to SVG and then the palette to "Tagged SVG" (this last part I know not the reason of, a part from that it works better than the other option). This odysseys is thoroughly described in this post: The wonderful odyssey of publishing to Apple Books (possible issue with hyperlinks creation).

Hope this clarifies the reasons behind this apparently unnecessary workarounds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to be of help. EPUB issues are difficult enough to straighten out without all the misleading, outdated information to wade through. 🙂

As for — "Hope this clarifies the reasons behind this apparently unnecessary workarounds!" — I read that reason as "Apple Books." I understand they have their preferences and perceived market, but there are so many hurdles to getting a successful publication there it makes KDP's whimsical rules look simple.

But then, I go back to the days when Mac libraries and APIs were written with deliberate complexity and obfuscation, to impose a gigantic 'first step' for programmers who wanted to work with the new system. If you weren't good enough, you see... and, unfortunately, that's an attitude that Big A has never quite let go. IMVHO.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Inélsòre said in this post https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/cross-issue-with-svgs-between-illustrator-and-in...:

"I'm here again because, once again, I had issues in placing SVGs in InDesing."

"What could have gone wrong?"

Sorry, I have no idea.

Please share the original PDFs before you placed them in Illustrator and before you changed something with Acrobat Pro.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached the file exported from Dorico.

When I import into Illustrator it shows a few strange things:

1. A path around the text objects that goes way beyond the artboard boundaries

2. The import dialog shows as if the image would be cropped to exclude any white space to the right and below the existing material. Not sure if I'm clear with this, as if the registration point of the image was in the top left, and the white space in the bottom right got cut out.

Thanks for checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Inélsòre ,

I have no issues at all with the your ASE 0025-01 - Piatti - Elegia Rubinstein - Violoncello 1.pdf.

Opened it in Acrobat Pro, converted all fonts to outline, placed the PDF pages 2-3 ( page 1 is empty ) in Illustrator. Note, I did not place and link the PDF pages. Exported to SVG, where I enabled the option to use the artboards, of course I disabled option Responsive and had no issues at all to place both SVGs in InDesign.

Download the files from my Dropbox account:

200721-1-ASE 0025-01-Uwe.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzzzg1q893skr6y/200721-1-ASE%200025-01-Uwe.zip?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Laubender.

I also had no problem inserting just one page (as a link) and then exporting that, then repeating for each other page. Of course, this is not a good workflow for bigger docs.

When you said "I did not place and link" is it something you think may have affected the outcome? Should I place original images instead of links? If so, why?

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines