• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross Reference Breaks Paragraph Borders

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I add a cross reference with a page number, it breaks multi-line paragraph borders later on the page, as shown below.

BEFORE:

MostlyDifferent_1-1669077318483.png

AFTER:

MostlyDifferent_0-1669077270390.png

The paragraph style for the shaded area has "Merge Consecutive Settings..." checked, but this happens. What's odd is it only breaks for borders and not for shading.

If I delete the page number, or use a cross-reference without the page number, it works fine. Using default settings on the cross-reference.

After messing around with this, the file also hangs while trying to export a PDF (I wanted to see if it was just a visual glitch and would print all right). I force-quit the program, and the file became corrupted. Thankfully I had just branched this one, so no big damage done.

Is this just a case of "don't use Cross-Reference", or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "merge consecutive styles" feature can get pretty touchy about judging whether or not a following paragraph has truly matching styles. All kinds of little things can break its flow. This one is very odd in that it seems to break a subsequent pairing.

That said... I can't think of a fix other that to keep tinkering with the style settings to see if some very minor difference is being triggered by the addition of the cross-ref.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you comfortable sharing that one page of your file? You could put it on dropbox and post a link here (public) or message me directly (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, sorry for the delay on this. Holidays and all. I've stripped out most of the document, see the file attached.

It might display properly for a moment, but when I hit Enter at the end of "Hello there's another thing" the problem reappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution, which is very stupid but working, after inserting the cross-reference, delete it "the page number only because the rest is simply text" then UNDO, that's it, the border will be fine again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I exported the document to IDML to see if there was anything obvious that could be the problem, then created a new INDD from it just in case, but the missing border problem was still there.

Looking into the IDML, there's nothing out of the ordinary.

The problem only shows up in the first sequence of that paragraph style on the page. I copy/pasted those paragraphs to lower on the page and the border is robust and as expected. In an IDML there is no difference between the paragraphs that show the problem and those that don't.

Exporting to PDF, the border is in place as designed.

After all that (and a few other things not worth mentioning) the only conclusion I can come to is that this is a display bug in InDesign. As annoying as it is, it's only cosmetic. The text renders as expected to print or PDF, so I would report it on indesign.uservoice.com and live with it meanwhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines