• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cursor converts to hand tool InDesign v16.3.2

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running InDesign on a 2015 MacBook Pro, had no problems until a week ago (apart from Command O not working to open a document - meh, that I can live with). Now when I open a document and try to select text to edit it, the cursor converts to the hand tool. I have looked at (much) earlier posts describing this problem, I've restarted the application and deleted the preferences in favour of the default set. I am not running Google Chrome, in fact I haven't installed any new software that might have caused this to happen. I've checked to see if the space bar is stuck and it's not. The problem happened with the previous version of InDesign also, I just updated it in the hope that it would solve the problem, but it hasn't. Ant suggestions gratefully considered, thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Thank you for your continued interest.

I installed Big Sur and the problem has been resolved. I will post here if it starts happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That you also have troubble with cmd-O seems to imply a hardware glitch, but I assume you have tested that command in other software with success? 

Do you have access to an external mouse and keyboard? Even though you have tried to eliminate hardware issue, it would be great if you could do so by testing an external mouse and keyboard (through USB).

It almost sounds like you are over a graphic frame and getting the content grabber. Can you confirm the behaviour with a new document that only has one text frame? 

What tool(s) cause this behaviour? Is it the selection tool or any tool? If you select your Text tool and then try to select the text what happens? (The text you are editing is it on the actual page and in an unlocked layer? There is no object above the text object?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance Lukas.

The grab tool is happening no matter what tool I have selected. I have taken your advice and tried a USB mouse and keyboard, and the problem still occurs. I have also tried it on a document that is a single layer and with just va text box on the page, same thing happens. If I select the Text tool and hold it over the pasteboard it appears as the regular text cursor but with a dotted box around it, but when I move it over the document the dotted box disappears; then when I try to click in the text it changes to the fist (not the open hand). I have been an InDesign user for many years, and before that Pagemaker, so I know it's not an issue with the document layers; these pages are for a magazine and they are all single layer, as are all the simple layouts I have tried it on just now, so yes, the text is on the page, and the layer is unlocked. Other users have reported the same issue but in earlier versions and, as I mentioned, I followed advice given and relaunched the software and reinstated the default preferences; I have shut down all other software, and cleaned under the spacebar with compressed air.

The Command O glitch has been happening for a while and is reported by other users here on this forum. Adobe has suggested the latest upgrade has fixed it and, at the moment that seems to be the case, but previous upgrades have appeared to have done it then it starts happening again. I have that problem on more than one computer, and it doesn't happen in other software. I can work around that, however. The other problem is more serious as I can no longer edit documents on the laptop.

Thanks again for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences

Quit InDesign, then relaunch the application and immediately hold down the following key combinations for your OS:
  1. Mac OS X: CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift.
  2. Windows: CTL+ALT+Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, if you read my posts I have already done this and it made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. This is really weird. This generally happens when there is a third-party application that has similar shortcuts. I would request you to share a few more details along with the ones asked by Lukas:

• version of macOS
  • Was it working fine on the previous version?
  • When did this start happening?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

Also,  please try booting the system into Safe Mode and check how it works there. It starts your system to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I am running Catalina 10.15.7, I will be updating today to Big Sur 11.4 (I was in the middle of a big project and I never update OS in case there is a problem and I can't complete my work).

Yes, it was working fine up until last week, and I have changed nothing that might cause a conflict - no new software or settings. This laptop is used primarily as a gateway to a VPN for the company I work for, I open documents on the company's server and save to the Cloud, and then open them on my iMac to take advantage of the larger screen.

I will update the OS now before trying the safe mode option, and report back if the problem persists.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be looking forward to your response. 

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your continued interest.

I installed Big Sur and the problem has been resolved. I will post here if it starts happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear you resolved the issue. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines