• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cutting and pasting from word table cells into indesign table cells - correcting wrong direction

New Here ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm replicating a table from a word doc within an indesign document, that I'm designing for a client in the non-profit sector. The table is about 30 pages long so I need to set it up well from the start so it's less painful for the pages to follow. 

Here's the issue, when I copy a ROW of info from cells, then paste into a ROW in my design doc, it pastes everything vertically rather than horizontally. I've researched the heck of this and can't find a solution to this simple problem. See images below. 

Any suggestions? I'm not going to place the table from the word doc by the way - too many glitches/messy issues when I tried this. 

Thanks in advance!

Cam

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 5.17.46 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 5.19.02 pm.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Thanks James and Eugene - appreciate the advice. 

Importing the table from a word doc was way too glitchy no matter what I did - including the above. It's a 30 page table (silly i know) so I'm building it again in Indesign to get it right. 

I found a solution - the page was rotated, meaning the text was being pasted in the wrong direction. Once I rotated the page, it was fine. I'll complete the table, then rotate the table (not the page). This seems to work. 

Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be the table was constructed incorrectly in Word. 

Best bet for me on this one would be to make a PDF of the Word doc - then you could try convert the PDF back to word - and see if it copies any better.
I'd only do this for the tables - and not for any other portion of it. 

----------

Side thought

What happens if you use File>Import and import the Word doc directly to InDesign?
For example, copy the table to a new Word doc.
Save it
File>Import the word doc for that table?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing the Word doc, or at least the pages with tables in them, to a dummy InDesign doc, then cut and paste from that doc.

If it gets around this strange flaw, you could advance the technique by pre-editing and -formatting the tables in the intermediate doc, and save time in the final doc.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks James and Eugene - appreciate the advice. 

Importing the table from a word doc was way too glitchy no matter what I did - including the above. It's a 30 page table (silly i know) so I'm building it again in Indesign to get it right. 

I found a solution - the page was rotated, meaning the text was being pasted in the wrong direction. Once I rotated the page, it was fine. I'll complete the table, then rotate the table (not the page). This seems to work. 

Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines