• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge - custom non-grid layouts for multiple records?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm pretty versed in ID but very new to Data Merge, and I'm currently trying to figure out if it's going to be right for the application I need. 

I'm creating a statistics sheet/infographic. Ideally I'd be able to ask for the statistics in a CSV, plug them into ID, and export; but things are rarely that easy! I know if I want to have multiple records on a page, I can do so in a grid using the Create Merged Document options. However the design I'm working with has multiple sizes of text & textbox, and doesn't conform to a grid. Is there a way I can lay out multiple records in the way I'm hoping? Screenshot below, so you can see the layout of the document and the test CSV. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 10.43.38.png

As you can see I've tried a single textbox (Visitors), multiple textboxes (Programming), and separate but connected textboxes (Statistic/Number). I just wanted to see if there was any difference in how they behaved.

I'm open to scripts if one already exists for this, but I can't write them due to various permissions issues. I'm also fully prepared for this to just not be possible, but I want to exhaust my options here before moving on, because this could be the perfect solution!

Thanks for any advice you might have!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data Merge has to have identical layouts for each record. I don't know about scripting, but there are several options in third-party catalog plugins that will do what you want. I use EasyCatalog for this, and I like it, but I don't know about the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign's Data Merge is pretty well limited to its one-off trick. Once your needs go even slightly beyond that, you're in catalog plugin territory...

https://pagination.com/indesign-catalog-plugins/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with the other posters here - this is beyond Data Merge.

Solutions would be either catalogue plug-ins for InDesign; or XML publishing (but this is a steep learning curve)

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines