• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DATA MERGE HEBREW TEXT

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to do a data merge with Hebrew Text. When saving the excel sheet to csv, the text becomes ???????? , and when coding it for Hebrew, indesign doesn't read the document, and gives me the error message that it is not a supported document, even though it is a .csv. I cannot insert more than 1,000 names manually!!!! Help! How can I do a data merge in Hebrew? I have the English version of indesign, which supports Hebrew. Right to left text isn't a problem etc. But DATA MERGE is importand and urgent. Anyone can help?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Try using UTF-16 BE encoding, Data Merge works fine with this. See a similar discussion here, albeit for the Swedish language.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Just tried in my International English version of Adobe InDesign 15.1.3 and was able to data merge a CSV containing hebrew text. Key was that the CSV had to be UTF-16 but windows or unix encoding was fine. Way I did this was to make the data UTF-16 using TextWrangler for mac, and then during the data merge import, make sure the "Show Import Options" checkbox is checked and to confirm the options in the next dialog box like so:

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 22.46.13.png

 Admittedly I'm an English speaker only and the text I'm looking at

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you saving the Excel worksheet as CSV?

Make sure you use the CSV (UTF-8) option as opposed to the other CSV save options. This is the only way you can save Hebrew with Unicode encoding required for InDesign.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I am doing. Here's the error message I am receiving when trying to import the .csv to data merge:

"The data source file you selected either has no records or is not a supported file format. Please fix the file, select a file that contains records, or select a supported file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. That “solution” resolves problems with placing Hebrew in Excel via CSV. But apparently, data merge may be handling CSV differently. You may have stumbled upon a bug. Contact Adobe Customer Support via phone https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html or submit a bug report at https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using UTF-16 BE encoding, Data Merge works fine with this. See a similar discussion here, albeit for the Swedish language.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This fixed it for me. Thanks for the recommendation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Do you read Hebrew?

I wrote a Tip on my site rgarding Data Merge from various apps after I investigate it for many hours...

Here is the link:

http://indesignme.co.il/tips/094-data-merge-indesign/

The tip exlains what is Data Merge and the correct saving options from various applications in mac and windows.

I hope it will help you.

Please let me know 🙂

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried in my International English version of Adobe InDesign 15.1.3 and was able to data merge a CSV containing hebrew text. Key was that the CSV had to be UTF-16 but windows or unix encoding was fine. Way I did this was to make the data UTF-16 using TextWrangler for mac, and then during the data merge import, make sure the "Show Import Options" checkbox is checked and to confirm the options in the next dialog box like so:

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 22.46.13.png

 Admittedly I'm an English speaker only and the text I'm looking at may make no sense in Hebrew, but it is at least worth attempting this technique.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at least you figure it out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help. Will have to try text wrangler. Shlomit, I can read Hebrew, but I don't understand it, so although your tips look quite helpful, I couldn't really figure it out. Know of anything like that in English?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all! Saving as UTF-16 txt worked!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines