• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge - Multipage and single page content in one csv?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on creating standardized templates for a lot of different types of content. I have minimal experience with InDesign, but I have gotten data merge working to generate master files for the cover pages of all teh documents we want to create. The problem I am stuck on is trying to bring in multiple addresses from an external source, and having that data on everypage, while maintaining the other data replicating across multiple pages.

To break it down further, the current data merge will insert a cover image, title, and subtitle, and will duplicate the document for each row.
On the same cover page there are 4 other fields that will contain the same content on every one of the cover pages, but I want that content able to be updated from outside of indesign, either in a text file, or  excel. This could also become more that 4 fields in the future, but at the point I could easily update the data files, and the templates to handle that. I want this to be as maintainable as possible and easy to change content to facilitate the content creators to be able to easily edit and update the content without damaging the integrity of the designs.

Is this obtainable with InDesign or should I look at different tools to make these templates?

TOPICS
Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to combine all of your info into a single data merge file. I appreciate that this would produce duplicate content within each row of your data merge file. However, it could be far easier than creating a workflow that involves consecutive data merge processes from multiple sources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is kind of the direction I was thinking, was just making sure Im not doing extra work if there was already an InDesign solution for this. I am going to write a separate script that will collect and combine all the data into a single file that can be used for the data merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. Whatever path you take, please post your solution back here. I'd be keen to hear how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some more digging into features of indesign, and I am now working towards creating the content using xml documents, importing xml into inDesign. You can 'tag' differnet sections of the documents within InDesign and if they match the tags in the xml it will automatically fill the content that way. Once I figure out all the details I will definitely outline the entire process in this thread for anyone else looking for a similar solution in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

XML is powerful and could be a great option for you. Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines