Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge not working with CSV

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

When I try to link a spreadsheet with an inDesign document using the Data merge -> Select Data Source function and selecting a CSV file exported from an excel spreadsheet, I get the following error message: 

"The data source file you selected either has no records or is not a supported file format. Please fix the file, select a file that contains records, or select a supported file format."

I have looked at the other troubleshooting threads, and none of them solved the issue. 

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

In Excel, make sure you save it as CSV (Comma delimited) and not CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited).

If that doesn't work, try the CSV (Macintosh) or CSV (MS-DOS) formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Plantor,

Re: I have looked at the other troubleshooting threads, and none of them solved the issue.

What have to tried to fix the issue....is it possible for you to post the .csv file for troubleshooting purposes?

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using a tab-delimited text file, but I got the same error message. Also tried opening the csv file in a text editing program and resaving as csv, did not work either, got the same error message. Why is this feature being advertised if it's not working properly? 

I uploaded both the excel file and the csv file here:

https://easyupload.io/m/9xnapx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I opened the Cards-Data.xlsx file and saved a .csv file that works using the below option,  I'm on a Mac running InDesign 2020...... How are you saving the .csv file?

I uploaded the .csv file that works here: https://easyupload.io/diuwc6

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.16.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.19.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.20.42 PM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Excel, make sure you save it as CSV (Comma delimited) and not CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited).

If that doesn't work, try the CSV (Macintosh) or CSV (MS-DOS) formats.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh okay, I got it. The problem was the CSV file used colons instead of commas. I simply made a txt file on the Notepad, and retyped the text using commas. This way I could use DataMerge in InDesign. I still have to figure out how to export to comma-based CSV, but at least now I have a workaround. Thank you all for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing what you tried, here is something I've done...

Open the .csv file in a text editing program* and do a save-as, keeping the .csv extension. 

*Some programs can save as text or RTF--make sure the format stays as text.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines