Data merge to spreads - facing pages

Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My need is quite simple, I'll try to explain it simply.

100 pages/50 spreads make up my document. Both left- and right-sided pages have the same design. Left-sided pages, however, have a slightly different layout than right-sided pages, as the left-side pages are pushed closer to the left margin of the spread, while the right-side pages are pushed slightly closer to the right margin. The reason for this is that I did not want the content to be too close to the center.

Although I haven't spent too much time researching how data merge works with spreads, I can quickly observe that if I use it on a spread, the content of each left page will be duplicated on the right page. That's obviously not what I want.

I am fine with merging two single-paged documents separately, one with the left pages and one with the right, but after the merge, I would need a way to merge these two documents in the correct order. In other words, the pages from the LEFT-PAGES document will be stacked up on the left side of the final document, and the same goes for the RIGHT-PAGES document. As a result, the final merged document would look like this:

SPREAD 001:
Page 01 >> LEFT-PAGES-1 >> Page 02 >> RIGHT-PAGES-1
SPREAD 002:
Page 03 >> LEFT-PAGES-2 >> Page 04 >> RIGHT-PAGES-2
SPREAD 003:
Page 05 >> LEFT-PAGES-3 >> Page 06 >> RIGHT-PAGES-3

How would I go about doing this? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. First, about using parent pages, although it doesn't solve my problem, great idea! I just tried it and see that multiple records is grayed out. Wonder why. Anyway, I will definitely use parents but still have to figure out how to solve the spread layout.

About the second link, as you can see in the screenshot of my browsing history below, I have visited that page four times this week. 🙂

chrome_gwCOFHiRBa.png

But I couldn't get it to work. If I just create a second page as he says, after the merge, every other page is blank. If I copy the frames from page 1 to 2, then every second page is a duplicate of the previous page.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am understanding your needs, you can do with one merge. Set up your initial merge document as a facing-page document, but using a single-page master with equal left and right margins. 

After you have run the merge, use the numbering and section options to number your first page as 2, so that it moves to the left. As long as you have Allow Document Pages to Shuffle set, this will also move your pages into the spreads that you want. 

Now, select all of the pages in the pages pallet, and use Margins and Columns under the Layout menu to adjust your inside and outside margins. Make sure that the Layout Adjustment box is checked; your pages items will move with the margins.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.58.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.59.14 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Couldn't follow this.

Anyway, I found a script that merges pages from two open documents, called "MergeFiles 2016." It allows you to keep the numbering:

InDesign_Y38uNIIVDW.png

So, in my LEFT-PAGES doc, the pages would be numbered 1,3,5, etc. and the RIGHT-PAGES doc, 2,4,6, etc. The merged doc looks like this:

v73iACNqQ5.png

To make this work for me, I need to figure out two thing:

1. How to make alternating numbered pages automatically. (Manually, I have to set each page to start numbering at the new number.)

2. After the merge, how do I get all the even numbered pages at the bottom of the doc, to the right side of each odd numbered page.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines