• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DataMerge Multiple Record Layout

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use indesign to create spotting charts for play-by-play broadcasting. Recently learned how to port stats from webpages into excel. Trying to set up a data merge workflow that will update the names and stats which would save an incredible amount of time and effort. I need help setting it up so that the placeholders go in order from 1-26. I've attached the csv file I'm using along with a screenshot to where I am at now.

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't looked at your data file, but I looked at the screen capture.

Multiple record merges require precisiely ONE set of data field placeholders onthe template page, ;ocated in the upper left position. During the merge addtional records will be added to fill the page according to the rules and spacing you set up in the merge options dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly do I configure the Multiple Record Layout to achieve this? I switched into Multiple Record layout and when moving the Layout of Records sliders does nothing while in preview. Do I need to merge the records to see the result or am I configuring it wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each of the boxes for names / bio / stats are individual text boxes, will this cause issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indidvidual frames shouls not cause an issue as far as I know. However, merge preview has long been buggy and not fixed to the best of my knowledge, and in my experience it should be avoided entirely. I've never seen a document damaged by previewing the merge that was recoverable.

My advice is create a new template, add the fields, set the margins and spacing as you think they should be and run a trial merge with a small range of records to see how it looks on the page (without the preview), then adjust and try again. If you feel you absolutely need the preview do an Undo immediatly after the preview and before the merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines