• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

default, InDesign applies the Hyperlink style

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you change the default hyperlink style to be "None" for character styles when opening all new document and adding hyperlinks. Waste of time to constantly have to remove a style that I did not apply or want.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

The hyperlink style will not appear in the styles till you make a hyperlink. you can, after make your first hyperlink, go to the character styles panel, right click on the hyperlink style, and edit it.

You can however make styles with no document open and they will be defaults. however, i believe that there will always be a double hyperlinks style since as soon as you make a hyperlink. indesign will make the style in the character styles, and now you have to delete and replace.

here, try it:

http://www.thegraphicmac.com/set-default-character-styles-adobe-indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign does not automatically apply a character style to hyperlinks (thank god!)

But... Microsoft Word do!

So I'm guessing you place or paste Word text into Indesign, don't you?

Maybe there's a way to prevent Word from applying such a style, but I'm not aware of it. I would just deleting the style, not a big deal imho.

Maybe you could ask in a Word forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not pasting from Word. Word is not even open.

I have copy in InDesign that I typed and it is set at the paragraph style I

assigned to it. Then, when I highlight the words to create a hyperlink, and

add the url address in the hyperlinks palette, it changes the paragraph

style for those words and adds a blue color with underline to the words,

while adding a "Hyperlink" character style and blue hyperlink color to my

color palette. (It says it does this right in the InDesign help online as

a default) I don't want to have to remove a style and color from my palette

every time. Causes mistakes and need to keep my documents clean of unused

things I have not added. Does any one know how to change so default

hyperlink will have a character style of "None" and will not add the style

to my character style palette or color palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create one hyperlink, change the character style. That should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hyperlink style will not appear in the styles till you make a hyperlink. you can, after make your first hyperlink, go to the character styles panel, right click on the hyperlink style, and edit it.

You can however make styles with no document open and they will be defaults. however, i believe that there will always be a double hyperlinks style since as soon as you make a hyperlink. indesign will make the style in the character styles, and now you have to delete and replace.

here, try it:

http://www.thegraphicmac.com/set-default-character-styles-adobe-indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... I might have looked like a fool ^^

As a matter of fact, I use CS6 and no such character style is created while creating an hyperlink.

After some googling, I realized this feature appeared in CC version. (https://indesignsecrets.com/understanding-indesigns-hyperlink-formatting.php)

I now understand your question and how it could be frustrating.

Now Bob and Jonathan did give you wise advises and you should be able to handle this small annoyance.

Sorry for my ill-advised answer ^^

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its applying hyperlink text style for me on text that i deleted the hyperlink style off of.  HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. I apply the style (newly created) and it applies the actual link to the styled hyperlink above it. ARGH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The top answer given is not actually the most helpful as it does not explain how to create a hyperlink without adding the hyperlink style. The way you do it is to select "Appearance > Character styles > Same Style" from this bit below the hyperlink. Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 11.38.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines