• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Object Styles are too easy to set

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request / subjective bug report. My feeling is that it is way too easy for a user to set a default object style for all newly created objects. Object styles are great, but are often used sparingly. They are also often tweaked with nothing selected, which means one may unintentionally define an object style as the default for all newly created objects. What then happens is objects will be created with this inadvertent default style applied, though with overrides. If at some point that style is adjusted, suddenly objects all across the document–that were never intended to be linked to that style–take on the new / adjusted attributes of the updated style. The process for establishing an object style as the default for all newly created objects should require more intent, it is way too easy to do accidentally.  

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

I disagree. InDesign is a professional application with a learning curve and required knowledge to use effectively, but if you really want to make a feature request, do it here: Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com)

Do note that saying you don't like the way something works is not a feature request, it's a rant. You'll need to spell out exactly how you want it to work and most importantly WHY.

Come back and post a link to it so others can view it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. InDesign is a professional application with a learning curve and required knowledge to use effectively, but if you really want to make a feature request, do it here: Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com)

Do note that saying you don't like the way something works is not a feature request, it's a rant. You'll need to spell out exactly how you want it to work and most importantly WHY.

Come back and post a link to it so others can view it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To describe my post as a rant is clearly an exaggeration. A rant might, for instance, contain all caps wording driven by some misguided defensiveness about a piece of software.  I could not have been more clear as to the 'why'. I believe this aspect of InDesign needs to be revisited, it leads to inadvertant setting of default object styles that then are applied to objects in without the user being aware. Establishing a default style should be driven by user intent and the current process makes accidents likely.  Since I encounter this issue frequently in my colleauge's documents, have been using InDesign since CS6, and am all too familiar with its learning curve I think my opinion counts.  I'll take this suggestion over to location you linked to, I doubt I am the only one who feels this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for bringing this up - you can make feature requests here

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

It's not a bug - just how it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines