Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default software for editing links "Edit with"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering how to change (once and for all) the editing software preferences when I click on "Edit with" when I want to modify a link please ?

For example, I have an imported image in RGB and I want to change it to CMYK, or whatever, by opening it with Photshop while still working on InDesign.

The issue I have is that when I want to do this, after choosing "Edit with", InDesign only suggests me to use Google Chrome or click the other/else button, and I always have to browse and find the Photoshop app folder to select the .exe file in order to access the software.

I could use a method like, switching my default .jpeg opening app by Photoshop when using InDesign and select "Edit original", but I find it strange having to do this kind of manipulation, especially because people around me don't seem to have the problem.

Does this means I have to reinstall my softwares or is there a way around / hidden preference to solve this please ?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

I finally found a simple solution I think :

For a jpeg/png/tiff/... image, change opening properties by "opens with" Adobe Photoshop, apply, and after you can change back to the default setting.

Normally, Windows should have memorized that you chose Photoshop once, and InDesign should take it in consideration in the future when selecting "edit with".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you’re using a Mac. You need to change the file associations for the system. Do this by selecting a file of the type you want to edit, for example JPEG. Get Info and change Open With to Photoshop, then click Change All to make all JPEGs open in Photoshop.

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 1.11.16 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Thank you for replying.

@Scott Falkner I'm using Windows 10, I forgot to mention it, sorry.

And as you may have noticed, I'm using the french interface.

@Eugene Tyson I tried to find a way around using your link but for now I didn't succeed.

I think if I dig deeper into windows 10 functionalities I should be able to find a solution though, but this might take some effort.

Meanwhile, I think I'll just change the file opening properties when using InDesign as I said, it should work as a temporary solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally found a simple solution I think :

For a jpeg/png/tiff/... image, change opening properties by "opens with" Adobe Photoshop, apply, and after you can change back to the default setting.

Normally, Windows should have memorized that you chose Photoshop once, and InDesign should take it in consideration in the future when selecting "edit with".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines