• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Defining a style that starts with a special character

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to define a style that will start a text line with a special character? In other words I would like to create a checklist and the first character will always be a checkbox and right after that the font will change to Arial. I just don't want to have to enter the special character every time. I know it has to be possible, but I'm not sure how to get there. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

When you set up the Paragraph Style, define Arial as the paragraph font. 

When you define the bullet (using the Add button), you choose the font and character for the bullet only.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up a bulleted list style with the bullet defined as your checkbox

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 3.33.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the list above, I used a plain box from Wingdings, but Zaph Dingbats has some fancier ones

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 3.37.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! Now, can you tell me how I go about getting it to default to Arial font after the check box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you set up the Paragraph Style, define Arial as the paragraph font. 

When you define the bullet (using the Add button), you choose the font and character for the bullet only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to place an "indent here" character in a paragraph style? I have a checkbox, then an en space, and right after the en space I would like to have all the text indent at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Styles cannot add characters, but if you used a tab instead of the N-space, then the indent tools built into the tab ruler (an into paragraph styles) will give you what you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting closer, but I'm lost on getting the text on the second line to indent and align with the text on the first line. I must be missing something very simple! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my initial screen shots. In the Paragraph style, whatever the left indent is, the First Line Indent should be the negative of that number. In the Tabs pane, the indent marker also functions as a tab stop, so this only works properly if the character after your bullet is a tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying, but still having difficulty. Believe me tho, I do appreciate your help. I'm new at InDesign so I appreciate your patience. 

I have two tabs. The first tab indents the checkbox to 0p6. The second tab indents the text to 1p6. That's where I would the text in lines 2 thru whatever to align with the text in the first line (at 1p6). Youe example (at least I think so) is only taking into account one tab. So tell, what am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all of the checkboxes get the same indent, you could use a paragraph indent instead of a tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, i'm just not getting it. 

Instead of a tab i did an indent of 0p6, then the checkbox, then a tab (at 1p6), and then the text. that works fine. However the second line does not, will not, align with the tab at 1p6. It might for you, but I have to be misunderstanding what you're trying to tell me. Create a paragraph style and email me the file. lol Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Indents and Spacing, what kind of an indent are you setting? Left margin indent or 1st line indent?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or are you setting a hanging indent?

That's where the checkbox hangs out in "space" to the left of the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Left Indent of 0p6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do you want the checkbox to "hang" like in @SJRiegel 's demonstration above? Here's a sample hanging bullet (well, checkbox bullet) that is left-indented 0p6 (6 points). The body text part is aligned at 1p6 (1.5 picas): both lines of the second bullet align at that mark.

Sample of a hanging bullet (checkbox).Sample of a hanging bullet (checkbox).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that looks exactly like what I want. Just not sure how to get there! will all the lines of text align at 1p6? There obviously could be more than two lines.

So, what do I need to do to accomplish what you showed me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines