• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleted InDesign files?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does InDesign delete files without warning?  An important file is suddenly gone.

I have been working on a long and complicated document for several months, occasionally saving it as a PDF to share with others.

I opened InDesign and was surprised to not see the file offered in the Recent list (in fact, it showed nothing I had been working on in the last month, only older work), but I had been working on teh file regularly for the last two months. 

Then I looked in my folder and found that the file was gone.  The PDF copies are there, but the InDesign file is gone. It is as if I put the file in the trash, except that it is not in the trash and there is record of it in InDesign.

Has this ever happened to you?

Can the file be recovered somehow?

I know now that I should regularly save drafts with new names, so that the old version is available if the working version gets corrupted or lost, so please don't recommend that I do this in the future.  I will.  But is there any way to avoid re-creating the document from scratch?

And does anyone know why or how my files was lost?

FYI: I am working on my home desktop PC, not part of a network and I have never worked on the file elsewhere.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. InDesign does not just delete files on its own.

FWIW, you can avoid these headaches by working a Dropbox or Onedrive folder which would keep all versions you've worked on and allow you to recover a deleted file with one click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over a long period of work crud builds up in InDesign documents which can cause corruption, to remove it, you should occasionally save it as an IDML document then incrementally name it and reopen it as an InDesign document again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened InDesign and was surprised to not see the file offered in the Recent list (in fact, it showed nothing I had been working on in the last month, only older work), but I had been working on teh file regularly for the last two months. 

Did you inadvertently open up a different version of InDesign? Open the Creative Cloud desktop app to see which version(s) are installed. If more than one, try the other. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign do you use, and what version of Windows?

Are you certaion the .indd file is gone and that Windows hasn't changed the file association to Acrobat? We've had a couple of reports of that happening recently. Make sure you are showing file extensions (which is NOT the default behavior) in Windows file explorer to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your help and advice, especially the tip/reminder to keep files in a cloud folder (Dropbox, Onedrive, etc.).

I believe I have solved the problem and found the lost file -- an embarrassing bit of senior moment forgetfulness that I'd rather not explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Andrew22087995t3ww:

You don't have to tell us, but the idea behind the community forums is that one user's question and answer will help other users down the road, as all these posts are searchable. We promise not to laugh, and speaking for myself only, I have made every single mistake, stupid or otherwise, in the book. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yesterday I found the same problem, wich I explained in another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-1-cannot-save-file-and-delete-the-or...

The sollution for me was reinstall the previous version, but this is not the best sollution I assume. Can you explaine what you did to solve the problem? Maybe it works for me also. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines